Thread: Unable to install Centos using FTP

Unable to install Centos using FTP

I recognize it's probable to construct a Linux installation all the way through the network, however I cannot understand how. In my home network are dual boxes of Linux (Centos 5.5), one of the boxes proceed as a network and FTP server. The whole thing is working as expected; I am able to access through my (browser), ssh and web resources on top of my server machine. Just for education intention, I'm demanding to build a network installation taking place my first box through the most up-to-date Centos distro.

ali Guest

Re: Unable to install Centos using FTP

Hello I am having similar difficulty. I downloaded the entire cd's (*1.iso --- *7.iso) and positioned them on top of my FTP's public directory. In addition a cd is burned through the “CentOS-5.5-i386-netinstall.iso " virtual image. At some point in the installation process I'm request to position the information used for the FTP server:
    FTP site name: 192.168.1.29 (my server's IP)
    Centos directory: pub
    I obtain the subsequent Error: Unable to retrieve ftp//192.168.1.29//pub/image/stage2.img
    Do I comprise to extract several files through the downloaded cd's on the way to my FTP's pub folder? For me it is not unconditional requirement to build the installation through FTP, I am able to also make use of HTTP or NFS if required.

I have a similar problem, but with the use of Internet deployment scenario. This is a imitation, for the reason that I have to bring up a remote server. Therefore, the current situation in the installation of Virtual Box, and I can see the output of the monitor or enter the GRUB menu. But until transparent I cannot play with the remote machine, well this must be done soon. Anaconda booting the machine perfectly. But then it shows "Unable to retrieve http://ftp.chg.ru//pub/Linux/CentOS/5.5/os/images/stage2.img"

Are you absolutely sure I've looked everywhere? If you are absolutely sure that an RPM package to install software that does not exist, then you have a number of options: some RPMs for other distributions may work with Centos. Fedora RPMs are a good starting point and the reconstruction of the source RPMs in Centos team can also help. Reflect on building your individual RPM package. If you package the software yourself, then it makes it much easier to manage updates. As an absolute last resort you can accumulate the package as of source. As an RPM-based distribution like Centos to avoid compiling the source at whatever time achievable, as this can break the system and is highly suggested that you NOT go behind this route.

In support of FTP and HTTP installation, the iso image or images be supposed to be mounted through loopback within the publicly obtainable directory, within the following manner:
    In support of DVD:
    Mount -o loop /location/of/disk/space/RHEL5.iso /export/directory/
    In this situation /export/directory will be a directory that is common through FTP or HTTP.
    In support of CDROMs:
    Mount -o loop /location/of/disk/space/diskX.iso /export/directory/diskX/
    Perform the above in favor of all of the CDROM iso images, for example:
    Mount -o loop /var/isos/disk1.iso /var/www/html/rhel5-install/disk1/
    Next make in no doubt that the /export/directory directory is common through FTP or HTTP, and confirm client access. You be able to check to observe whether the directory is accessible as of the server itself, and after that from an additional machine resting on the similar subnet that you will be installing just before.