Thread: About:config for thunderbird

About:config for thunderbird

Well as everyone of use know that to know the list of pref variables and the respective value to those prefs, we just have to type “auto:config” in the Mozilla browser. Interesting feature is it allow user to customize the pref variables from the browser itself. But in Mozilla mail we can’t change change or modify the pref variables and we know that browser and mail are the part of same suite. And as Thunderbird being standalone there is no such options in that, My query is can we add “Auto:config” in Thunderbird from where we can modify pref variables.

re: About:config for thunderbird

Well dude you can’t access it directly in Thunderbird but it’s quite simple to access by few clicks. I don’t have any idea about how you change modify pref variable in Thunderbird by directly entering the about:config. But the simplest way known to me is in Thunderbird 1.5 or above version you can access it by clicking on “Tools” and then you have to click on “Options” and after that on the “Advanced” tab and in that click on “General” and then click on “Config Editor(button)”.

Well dude that is right option it includes many steps if you want to access auto:config frequently to set the pref variable then this procedure will be bit annoying follow the same procedure again and again so instead of following those steps you can use a Addons for your Thunderbird you can use ViewAbout 2.0 which is compatible with Thunderbird 2.0-3.3. Hope it will work for you, I don’t know much about its functionality but I think this is the most suitable option for you.

Hey man I am using the same extension on Thunderbird 2.0 on my Windows 7. ViewAbout 2.0.1 gives every possible about: dialog, some about : dialog are activated by using some other extensions with Thunderbird but using this Addon all the extensions get activated. Like about:config, about:plugins, about:privatebrowsing, about:robots, about:sessionrestore, about:buildconfig, and many more all most all which we use frequently and we can also edit the code using this extension.

Well dude I don’t know about that extension, but you have little bit amount of time then you can create a extension according to your need that’s what I do whenever I need an extension for the browser if there is no such extension on Mozilla firefox or Thunderbird then I create it by myself. But you should know the Idea of extensions and procedure to write the Thunderbird extensions and both of them are given on Mozilla site in Thunderbird under projects you can learn there and write according to your need.

Re: About:config for thunderbird

That’s so nice of you guys I was looking for the same type of solutions, well I know the procedure through the tools but that is bit time consuming and as need about:config frequently that becomes bit annoying as well. ViewAbout is the best option I have started using it and that is what I was looking for. Other option is also good to learn and create the extension but as it is available I don’t have to create it but it will be useful in future if I want to create any plugin or addon. Thank you,

ronyyroyals Guest

Re: About:config for thunderbird

To, Configuration the Thunder bird use these steps,
    1) Config Editor
    2) Configuration Files
    3) Locate your profile folder
    4) userChrome.css
    5) userContent.css
    6) user.js
    Just create user.js in your profile folder.