Thread: Need help to install Wifi USB Adapter on Windows Vista 64 bit

Need help to install Wifi USB Adapter on Windows Vista 64 bit

I am having a major issue with the wifi adapter installation. I have a wifi usb modem and I am not able to install the same on a laptop. The laptop has Windows Vista 64 bit operating system. When I connect the modem it shows as a usb device and then a application from that autoplays. That application is the installer of modem. When I click the same and apply the settings, nothing happen on reboot. There is neither dialer icon nor there is something shown in the device manager. What can I do here to fix the same. I need help for that. I faced Blue screen recently due to virus issue and worry that this might again does not create problem in the operating system.

Re: Need help to install Wifi USB Adapter on Windows Vista 64 bit

The issue basically lies with the driver of the modem. You have to find appropriate drivers. It is possible that the drivers which you have with you would be for a 32 bit operating system. But in my views mostly 32 bit drivers runs on a 64 bit operating system only if there is a downgrade support. You have to run the same under compatibility mode. You can right click the setup and then choose the compatibility mode there. Choose a older 32 bit operating system and then check back.

Connect the usb modem to an different port. This can be due to corrupt port. When you buy a modem you get a extra wire with that which is can kind of extension. Always use that to connect to your system. Sometime direct connection lets the modem to perform badly. This is because the difference in the interface. Second thing the driver advice is correct. You will have to get an appropriate driver support for the same. Mostly this devices are plug and play. Just connect and you get everything doesn't automatically.

Go in device manager and then try to run the modem. First it is detected as an unknown device. Then it scans for hardware. You must right click on that unknown device and click on update driver. Then in that give the location of drivers. You must copy the content of modem and keep somewhere on your desktop. It will check for the appropriate file and install the same. If the same is not found then the modem is not proper. You have to check the hardware.

It is an kind of an external modem which must be connected to a cable modem from the computer serial port or a USB port. If you want to install the modem manually or modify a property must go from the Start button, Settings, Control Panel, and click the Modems icon. If you have not installed the modem will see a screen like this where you choose if you want to search for drivers automatically or select a disc. If not found can select from this list or use the disks provided to us by the manufacturer and follow the screen instructions.

Go into the Control Panel to do this click Start / Control Panel then double-click the Internet Options icon. In the window that opens, select the Connections tab. Now click Configure > Next. Select Connect to the Internet then click Next. Select Set up my connection manually then click Next. Now select Connect using a dial-up modem. Enter the name you want for the connection by filling the field for this purpose. Now set a series of number in the Phone Number field and complete the Username field for the login provided by the ISP and then specify and confirm the Password field the password login also provided by your Internet Service Provider.