Thread: Is there something wrong with my Ethernet

Is there something wrong with my Ethernet

I am some issue with the lan settings of my network. I have Ethernet connector on every motherboard. At first I was using a network card with it. But later I found that that the lan speed was relatively low so I upgraded my all systems motherboard. Till yet things were working fine. In one of my system the Ethernet is not responding. I tried updating new drivers and other things did but nothing worked more. All settings were done by an technician so before any replacement I just need some help for the replacement. What can I do here to fix the same.

Re: Is there something wrong with my Ethernet

There are various tips that you can try to troubleshoot your Ethernet card. You can first begin with a driver update for the same. The most basic issue you will face with that is that you will either be not able to connect to internet or you might be not able to connect to any lan group. There are other more several factors that determines the issue of lan not working. You can check the bios first that the Lan is enabled from that. Sometime it needs to update the bios of the same. Better take a replacement of the same.

Try to ping the lan first and then check back. The default ip address of an every Ethernet post if 127.1.1.1.This is used for testing the lan card. If you are getting respond from the system then that means that your lan is live. But if not then the port is dead. You can try testing the connection of your system on a lan card. There are ample of lan cards which are very less costly. You can run the same and test. Second thing it is mostly a kind of hardware fault when your system does not detect the card. Try replacing the board itself.

There are certain tools that you can try to troubleshoot your lan card. The first is tracert. It helps you to view the path of the server. When you do not get respond from the server and your lan is active then the issue lies with the configuration. For this you will need to reconfigure all the settings and check all thing back. Also go on the Microsoft website and look for the compatibility list of the Ethernet card. Sometime due to incompatibility issue of the Ethernet card cause the issue of lan. Check that other systems are properly found on than LAN.

Run ipconfig all to check the ip address of your system. Also check the default gateway. You had not clarify the actual issue of your hardware. It can be a port issue, or also can be due to firewall and other security applications. Disable the security applications first and then check back again. Sometime due to firewall and other issue this happens when your lan incoming are blocked. Disable the same and then check back again.

I will recommend you to first reset the modem. Simply unplug and plug the same back again. It can be a issue of bad cabling also. Sometime due to improper cabling the issue appears on the network. Change the Ethernet wire or re-crimp all the settings back again. Also do not forget to verify the IP address of your system. Due to improper TCP/IP configuration the issue occurs over the network. Correct the cable settings of the network or else get a replacement for that.