Thread: Does TCP Optimizer would be able to optimize VPN connections?

Does TCP Optimizer would be able to optimize VPN connections?

Hello, I wonder that would it be possible to use the TCP Optimizer to optimize work VPN connection. I mean to say do I need to use any special considerations or procedures to follow while optimizing the VPN connections. I would like to notify that this is a Comcast VPN connection from a remote location to corporate headquarters. Thanks in advance!

Re: Does TCP Optimizer would be able to optimize VPN connections?

I'm not sure what to specify the connection speed. The bandwidth of the VPN connection is a download Mbps and 6 Mbps upstream. The NIC is a Gigabit card however. The connection runs from the network card to a Cisco router. What should I set the connection speed? Besides, I select PPPoE? How I can check if the connection is via PPPoE? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Anyway, I left the settings as is, then click on optimal settings. TCP Optimizer saw suggested an MTU of 1500. I changed this to 1400 as I read that 1400 is the appropriate value to start adjusting your VPN connections. Then I clicked on Apply changes to the following "optimal" configuration.

PPPoE (Point-to-Point over Ethernet) is a method for building PPP sessions and encapsulate PPP packets in Ethernet frames. PPPoE is used by a number of DSL providers. It needs either routers that supports for the PPPoE or PPPoE software to "dial up" and start the session. Some of the notable features are a PPPoE connection requires a username / password to connect, and adds an additional header of 8 bytes of the packet, reducing the maximum packet size from 1500 to 1492.

The most significant thing for optimizing the VPN connection, and that is what is used in the user's job performance. Other Internet connections are not as important as they are only used to surf safely and do not often work related. The average ping test is not the finest way to conclude your optimal MTU while using a VPN client. Though tedious, manually set the MTU by trial and error is the best method. You're going to change the MTU and VPN test for connectivity then set the MTU to the largest possible size that important works. Note: You must lower the MTU on all client computers and the VPN server (s) Many of the applications side Customer automatically adjust the MTU automatically when installed on end users. PC, however, the VPN server is often overlooked.

I always advise that TCP Optimizer an MTU of 1500 in the best possible configuration. 1500 Is this a calculated value based on the specific computer configuration (taking into account the VPN connection) or is merely a default that is not calculated, but supported on what has usually been found that the best value for most of the connections (not VPN)? I also read that the VPN creates an overload encryption (encryption, filling control, etc), which puts in about 100 bytes in the payload TCPIP, hence the suggestion to use MTU of 1400 (less than 100 bytes) to VPN.