Thread: how to configure router to router VPN

how to configure router to router VPN

I make use of to perform networking concerning 10 years ago and have gotten away from it. I have newly had require in my fresh business to situate WAN connecting two buildings that we comprise. Here is the situation:
    1. Two buildings subsequently entrance to each other.
    2. The primary building contains a windows 2003 server and three workstations. And also contain vital router among VPN and static routing ability.
    3. The subsequent building will contain two workstations along with no server. It is having similar router setup as per first building.
    I want to set up a router to router Virtual Private Network. As a result that the user’s next door be able to logon and work effortlessly just likes the workers in the central building? What's the easy way to attach the two offices effortlessly by means of a business cable connection at equally locations? What would my static routes appear on mutually routers?

Re: how to configure router to router VPN

Hello according to me at your main building your router address appears like 192.168.0.xxx and at another building it appears like 192.168.1.xxx. Even I would select the less popular subnets and for that subnet it appears like in main site 192.168.10.xxx and at another building it will appear like 192.168.11.xxx. Using this technique, people creating VPN for remote access. Basically it comes from home grade routers with 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx. At the moment for DHCP at the secondary site, you will wish for to brochure the IP address of your domain controller for DNS. So those workstations be capable of discover active index.

Thank you for your reply. That’s what I outline but just wasn’t positive if I’d make use of 192.168.0.128-254 on the secondary or uses the complete choice of 192.168.1.1-254 used for the secondary site. as a result while my domain controller is my DHCP and DNS server at the central site, do I make use of that server as both DHCP and DNS at the secondary site or immediately as the DNS server? I wasn't understandable from your respond. Also, what be supposed to my static routes appear on both routers? Is it requiring setting up the static route beneath routing and remote access on the domain controller at my central site or be supposed to do that on the router at my central site? I was actually hopeful to find away from reconfiguring the server and now setting up a constant router to router vpn connection and imitate one local site linking the two buildings. Is that probable?

DHCP will not run all the way through the VPN tunnel, so you will include editing the DHCP properties on the remote sites router. And modify the DNS that it hands out as of the defaulting, To the IP of your DC. The majority biz grade routers permit that. I typically place the ISPs DNS server as secondary DNS. In case the channel goes down. It will at a standstill permit the workstations to surf the web. Occasionally, If the VPN channel is weak/slow, this can origin them to fail to make use of the DCs IP for DNS correctly during the tunnel. You don't require compacting with changing several routes. The routers do a "router to router VPN tunnel".

Okay, I have acquired a Cisco Valet Plus at equally position. It doesn't have a VPN surroundings other than that I am able to open the ports. I would have to put the routes for myself. I am surprise how to configure individuals. We are actually happy through the routers and they are actually constant measure up to the Belken routers that we had earlier than. I would like to remain them excluding I would have to make use of their "Advanced Routing" settings to generate the static routes to create the networks work mutually like single. I am not in doubt how to locate those routes.