Thread: Unable to open Xbox Live port 3074 after installing Kaspersky Internet Security

Unable to open Xbox Live port 3074 after installing Kaspersky Internet Security

The Kaspersky Internet security is one of my favorite security software and I have been using it from the past several years. It has a well protection capability with regular update feature. Yesterday I have installed a new or latest version of KIS into my home system. The installation went well and all worked fine with it. But when I try to connect to Xbox live, it couldn’t. The Xbox 360 prompts me that I should open the port: 3074. But I didn’t find any way to open it. Please somebody help me. Does my KIS has anything to do with it?

Re: Unable to open Xbox Live port 3074 after installing Kaspersky Internet Security

If you have firewall or network hardware, for example a router, you might need to create configuration changes to allow the Xbox 360 console to converse with Xbox LIVE. This configuration change is also known as "opening doors" or "port forwarding". As I know the KIS is also include a powerful firewall program as well as Antivirus program. By default after the installation of Kaspersky IS the ports which the Xbox live uses to communicate might have been blocked. For this issue you may need to refer the port forwarding guide either for firewall program or router.

Re: Unable to open Xbox Live port 3074 after installing Kaspersky Internet Security

The first thing is the router is always a firewall. This is due to the operation: it blocks unsolicited connections from the Internet - not even for security, but quite simply, because he apparently did not know which computer to go to an unsolicited request. Different routers now have an additional firewall; but your issue might be in the SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection). This increases security to some extent, but that's not really much. I've disabled it on my router, because it requires some intelligence as well as computing power and can reduce the throughput depending on the router with fast connections. After disabling it I didn’t get any issues while connecting to the Xbox live.

It is not the big issue and it is not only related to the installation of KIS. I assume that you are using router. In each router, there is the port forwarding. You have to look for commands which ports need the XBOX, and then you have to pass these ports only to the XBOX. For example, Xbox has address 192.168.0.6 and the XBOX requires only the port 5555. So forward port 5555 to 192.168.0.6. This is how the port forwarding done. If there is no router then check the KIS firewall configuration. Disable it once and check it. You will probably going to connect successfully.

I know that the Kaspersky has Good firewall program and you are telling that it the one which is interfering with the Xbox live or port 3074. But it actually not. Unless you put the Xbox in your computer and redirecting the traffic through another interface (e.g. WLAN) to the router. If the Xbox is connected directly to the router, it does not matter which firewall on your computer. The only media center to stream media from your Media Player (or similar DLNA / UPnP AV programs) would have problems with Kaspersky. Other than this there is no disturbance with the Xbox.

It seems to me that the new installation of KIS might have changed all configurations in your computer or router to its default settings. Due to this default settings the ports from which the Xbox communicating with its live service might have been blocked. So you need to open the KIS firewall program and allow the TCP as well as UDP ports which you want there. If this still isn’t enough then I think that you should login to your Router configuration page.