Thread: Bitdefender causing Slow Shutdown and timeout in VSSERV service

Bitdefender causing Slow Shutdown and timeout in VSSERV service

My PC is running with Windows 7 and the security software I have installed in the BitDefender. The problem is when I choose to restart the computer; the PC will take much time to shut down. First of all I assumed that it is something due to the Virus infection. So I have run the scan and cleared all the threats. But the Shut down issue remains the same. So I looked into the Event viewer. There I saw that the Bitdefender is causing an error: A timeout (30000 millisec) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the VSSERV service. What does this mean? Can you advice something about it?

Re: Bitdefender causing Slow Shutdown and timeout in VSSERV service

As I know the Bitdefender will not cause any of the system service or any event handled by the Windows. The shut down process is the normal process. Sometime you will get slow response when some error occurs or some application still running. The Windows may get much time to kill those processes which are either running or suspended. If the process is something to do with the Bitdefender then the Even Viewer denotes the name of the application. If some processes still running in the Bitdefender before shutting down the computer then you will obviously get the slow response. If the Windows fails to kill that process then error message will be shown.

It seems to me that some viruses is causing the Windows shut down and start up process. When the computer has been infected by much dangerous viruses in that case these kinds of issues occurs. You need to update the Bitdefender then run the full or deep scan from it. It is possible that the virus has been infected some of the major system files and the Bitdefender is holding those files. Due to this the shut down response is getting slow and the event viewer shows that the Bitdefender is causing the error. But in reality some virus is affecting this.

I think that the Bitdefender is recognizing the VSSERV service as a threat to the computer and due to this reason it is keep on blocking the service to process or react with computer. At this install the shut down process suspends for some seconds. When the process is completely killed then it just turns off. While killing the process the event handler displays the Bitdefender as major reason for the error. To resolve this issue you need to change some settings in Bitdefender like parental control and application filtering. It may help to fix the error.

If the Windows is shutting very slowly then it is possible that the registry has been hacked or altered by some unknown threats. There are several registry entries which are mainly related to the start up and shut down process of the windows. You can alter those registry entries if you want to speed up the start and shutdown process of a computer. Open the registry editor and go through the proper registry and edit the numeric values there. For more information you can search in the Google for identification of those registry keys.