Thread: What is Wireless IDS?

What is Wireless IDS?

I have recently started studying about the wireless technology, so let me tell you initially that I am not having enough ideas about it. While studying about it, I just gone through some topic called Wireless IDS. Unfortunately there was no explanation about it. So remembered about this forums and thought to take some help from you people. Please, I am requesting to you members to provide me sufficient information so that I can clear some concepts of wireless networking.

Re: What is Wireless IDS?

The Wireless IDS was introduced long back (approximately in 2003). Anyways, still we will provide you some basic concepts that will help you to understand about wireless networking. The increase in the number of wireless hotspots in public places, residential and business locations, represents an opportunity for IBM more greedy for the launch of a new intrusion detection service (IDS) addressed to the wireless network. The IDS is based on a network of Linux applications that act as sensors and wireless, as reported by managers, are configured the same way as access points within an office. The sensor made it possible to monitor the activities of the network using wireless attack signatures developed by IBM.

Intrusion detection systems are very common in wired networks - maybe you will have question that why not use the technique so well for WLANs? Wireless IDS (WIDS) are in relation to their wired counterparts, relatively expensive and complex. Cisco advises customers such as a WIDS then, when there are more than 250 clients in the wireless business. WIDS are ideally suited, for example, to track down rogue access points. They also recognize the patterns of common wireless attack tools and allows IT security managers through the Management Console to the currently held attack alert.

The problem with the use of WIDS is often - in itself very useful indeed - Encryption of the data. Only integrated WIDS, proprietary systems so that the supplier of the infrastructure directly into the products can be woven, encrypted data in plain text reading. Flanged systems (overlay WIDS) can analyze only the layer 1 and 2 of the network. WLAN security experts such as Josh Wrigh trust these overlay WIDS but more in terms of product maturity and the range of functions, since these products generally focus solely on this market and manufacturers as opposed to infrastructure and manufacturers do not even have to take into account the dozens of other points.

Yet another stumbling block makes WIDS difficulties: 802.11n. This latest wireless LAN standard WIDS is forcing you to spend more time with the jumping back and forth between the radio channels, as it is on 802.11 the case. This reduces the time in which it searches the system for attacks. Also introduced by the 802.11n high-throughput (HT) mode, also known as Green Field mode, a problem for older WIDS: You can not even produced by the HT-mode Traffic recognize only the data transfers are invisible. Not always so bring progress and automatically more security. But that should not be used as an excuse for all the IT managers who run either by WEP or WPA secured wireless networks - or do without for the sake of IT security entirely on wireless networks.