Thread: Does Windows Server 2008 is most perfect for Server setup

Does Windows Server 2008 is most perfect for Server setup

I want to setup a server at my office. For that the two important requirements are a multi user setup and virtual setup for the entire system. In case if I need to move my office I can work on the virtual edition for the time being process. This thing is also independent on the platform. Windows Server 2008 R2 is one of the choices which is widely recommended to me. I also need some information the current ready to use system which I can buy directly. It does not matter it provides a heavy hardware support. I found hp and dell providing some ready to use servers with limited editions of Windows Server.

Re: Does Windows Server 2008 is most perfect for Server setup

Windows Server 2008 R2 is a new product and it is sold only as OEM. It provides VSE under 15 users an environment that supports the key roles and functions built into Windows Server 2008 R2 standard for low cost but with a number of restrictions. From entry level to high end, here are the various versions of Microsoft server that can be found on the market. It depends on your needs and choice which version you wan to use. I have listed some of the editions here which can guide you to have the most proper choice. First is Home Server 2008 and it i for home use that gives you a max 5 users support. Then comes Foundation Server 2008. It is for TPE and has 15 users support. This server can handle most of the functionality necessary for the company. Also this version does not require Windows Server CAL.

Above choices are just not clear for a large scale setup. Like I am using Small Business Server 2008. This is for SMEs and provide you a 75 users support. So that is quiet a enough support for a big companies. It provides the same technology which are used for larger companies. For a lower companies you can go for Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. It is recommended for more than 50 users support and this version includes option of complete and minimum installation. In then same range you get an Enterprise edition. This version based on the standard version adds enterprise technologies such as fail over clustering and ADFS.need clustering. And the last one which is highly advance is Datacenter Edition. It is similar to Enterprise Edition but it has some additional support. You get here rights to use unlimited virtual image. This version is optimized for very large environments.

Remember that WS08 R2 Foundation is only available on certain single-processor servers offered by manufacturers. So here just do not rely on the operating system. What hardware you are going to configure is also a important part here. To learn more about server models offered should contact the manufacturer of your choice or your dealer who will offer a better configurations. Normally your cpu power must be around 2Ghz and 2GB Ram is recommended. And then comes the server roles. The are the principal function of server. The user has the option to install one or many roles on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation. However, some roles are not available or limited in their use compared to the standard version of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Talking about the license support then you must refer to the technical documents first. The foundation edition has a license mode users with a maximum of 15, without Client Access License. So at the time of purchase you must take care. he server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation can not be used to create child domains or join a child domain. The server displays a warning message and, in the absence of change, it stops working after 10 days of use. The domain contains Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation does not maintain trust relationships with other areas. That is to say that authenticated users in their area can not access resources in another domain.

Right now there are some ready to use systems that comes pre-configured with the server. The Dell PowerEdge T110 is an entry-level server single processor core pre-installed with Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation. For an entry level work you can go with this and this one is the also the most recommended one. It is equipped with the most recent hardware. It comes with Intel Core i3 cpu,. It supports Xeon range processor also. You can add up 8GB of ram in it and a around 1TB of hard drive support. It supports NIC, SAS Controller, Backup, etc functionality. There is another model in hp also which comes with Intel Xeon X3430 cpu and ddr3 ram.