Thread: How to configure IPP on Windows

How to configure IPP on Windows

I want some help to build up a print server for my Windows network. I have a 6 systems on the network along with a server and printer. This is just a way to keep my network cost low by providing a composite printer on the network. Third party support for this is very costly. I had anyhow managed to build up a server for my system. Now I want to configure a Internet based print on that also. I know there is a relative support provide on Windows server, that is why I had upgraded to the most recent version. Searching in the options I do not find much help there. I think this can be done by IIS which allows the admins to work on various admin jobs. What are the disadvantages of this also. It is also better if there is any open source automated tool for this.

Re: How to configure IPP on Windows

It is right that the IIS provided by the web interface allows to perform some major administrator work. IPP is an application protocol, which sends its commands via HTTP 1.1. In contrast to IPP defines WebDAV HTTP header and no new methods, and therefore needs no write access to the web server. It sends its commands and data with a binary encoding in HTTP POST requests. Companies such as Adobe, Xerox, Lexmark and HP are not uninvolved in the development and have the protocol partially integrated into their own product. If you have any of this then you can get much help with less strain.

Yes I have a similar support printer. The thing you have to do is locate the IPP specification. This you can found in the Document Printing Application (DPA, ISO 10175) and in RFCs 2910, 2911, 3196 and 3510 as described in more detail standard. I also suggest on thing that the IPP server should be on port 631 waiting for requests. The Unix Printing System CUPS maintains a look at the RFCs. The IIS other hand, uses the HTTP port 80 or 443 for SSL connections. Even in the current issue 6.0, which is available in Windows Server 2003, implements the Internet Information Server only the original version 1.0 of the IPP specification. Look for the documentation for more detail.

What I know about this is that IIS is a component of the Microsoft Windows family. On client operating systems, this service is is known in the original version as Peer Web Services. The IIS is a system component and is installed via control panel in the add remove program. You have to install this via additional component. It is important to note that in the field of Internet information services of the Web service and on the same do not forget to select the virtual directory for printer. By default, both points should be set as soon as you click the Internet Information Services. Please do not forget the MMC Snap-In.

It is first recommended to check that you have IIS configured on your system. When you reboot Windows after that the web server runs independently. Now after that you can browse the the print server by http:// servername / reach. You are planning for an online support. So here security also matters. If your print server needs to set via Internet, it is recommended that you must use additional support like firewall, regular updates, etc. Try using IIS Lockdown Wizard. Right now a firewall protection is quiet enough for your system to run. There must be settings enabled for HTTP port 80, when using SSL port 443 in addition.

For setting up a printer via IPP, you must first configure the IPP server and checked that it is installed normally. There is no need to worry about the connection of the printer. You do not need to check that whether it is connected locally via USB or IEEE 1284 or via the network. The shared printer will be used both on IPP as well as the regular lan as shared printer. When choosing a share name, make sure that the name does not contain spaces. Otherwise, you will get a error message for that.