Thread: How to configure Hosted Desktop Pools?

How to configure Hosted Desktop Pools?

I am currently studying on Hosted Desktops on Windows based operating system. Many people over there must be knowing that with the components of Windows Server, Windows Client and System Center, Microsoft offers a combination for the configuration and operation of hosted desktops. These technologies can be customized with the necessary background knowledge and get some tips and tricks optimal. I am here to gain that same thing, so I am requesting you to provide some information about the hosted desktops. Also I am interested in knowing about configuration of virtual machines, positioning of the Hyper-V host, etc. Since, all are related with each other, I am not posting this elsewhere. More detailed information would be much grateful.

Re: How to configure Hosted Desktop Pools?

The fact that a traditionally installed and managed desktop is inefficient and expensive, also there exists a broad consensus. If such a virtualized desktop, then I transfer this inefficiency only in the virtual world. Efficiency and cost reduction can only have a desktop optimization achieved: decoupling the operating system and applications through application virtualization, personalization of the terminal with profile management and automation of all processes using appropriate management tools. The use of hosted desktops in the following scenarios is useful, for example:
    • Thin Clients: Very slim, easy to maintain and cost effective devices with very limited local resources for task workers (for example) interesting alternatives. The required computing power then comes from the data center.
    • Unmanaged devices: Regardless of whether it is, Bring Your Own PC, the home office with private computer hardware or an external consultant with your own laptop is - always, if not from their own IT devices managed data and applications access will, is a Hosted Desktop is the ideal platform . For it both easy and secure access via remote desktop protocol (RDP) and the full control of their own IT.

I know about configuring the Hosted Desktop Pools. So I thought to provide information that I am having. Hosted Desktop is a pool by using the Remote Desktop Services Broker and easily configured quickly. Once the broker, the Hyper-V hosts are known to have only the virtual machine and selected a pool to be added. A key point is that all virtual machines are configured identically in a pool. A pool for all users or multiple pools for different user groups? If only different applications to be deployed, then use a single pool. The assignment of applications is automated, the user has permission for their application.

In order to offer hosted desktops in your environment, some infrastructure components are essential:
    • Active Directory: A single Hyper-V host does not need Active Directory, a Hyper-V cluster does. System Center requires Active Directory, the Virtual Machine Manager can manage quite Hyper-V hosts that belong to a different or no Active Directory. All Remote Desktop Services roles necessarily require Active Directory. Perhaps the most important argument, however: Group Policy is the basis for effective management and automation of desktop infrastructure.
    • Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificates are the basis for, Single Sign-On: The user logs on to a single time and receive secure access to all necessary resources. This requires that all operating systems involved to prove their identity using certificates. In a very small infrastructure, it is sometimes more efficient to buy the certificates from external providers. Otherwise you can with the Active Directory Services Certificate as part of the Windows infrastructure to realize its own certificate server.
    • Infrastructure Management: Without monitoring, detailed reporting and intelligent automation is not a permanent increase in efficiency possible. Described in the Microsoft environment can do this with the Operations Manager, Virtual Machine Manager and Configuration Manager and Data Protection Manager from the System Center realize. Alternative solutions complement other manufacturers cover tasks such as automation.

Positioning of the Hyper-V host
    If hosted desktops are used to the operation of thin clients on the internal network to allow, then usually have hosts and virtual machines access to the same network. If you want to allow for example a consultant, its own terminal to your data and applications with access, then this one is more of a quarantine network, an extranet or use. You should now host the Hyper-V also connect to this network, or you are still on the internal network? If the latter is true: there is then no risk of unauthorized access of the virtual machines on your internal corporate network? Hyper-V is able to host and virtual machines on separate networks to provide a safe way. Different network cards can point in different network segments and can be configured in Hyper-V as a separate virtual switches. Such a virtual switch is a single network card will be linked with only. A bridging between such switches is not possible.