Thread: VPN encryption on Fritz Box

VPN encryption on Fritz Box

I am new to this forum and so I am hoping that you members will co-operate with me. Actually I want to know about the encryption of VPN on the Fritz Box. I know its old model, but need to know about it. So please provide some details about the same. Two networks are at separate locations over a DSL line connected together into one. All units can access resources in both networks, without noticing a difference. And its VPN connection over the Fritz Box (Fritz!Box). Also the another thing that I want to know is about the DSL upload. Please help me by providing suitable details. I am expecting that you members will reply me soon.

Re: VPN encryption on Fritz Box

Theoretically, there are two computers at two locations with high-speed connection are located, even with the VPN standard tools of Windows XP and Linux combined. But it connect to various problems, as modified, eg, the NAT in the DSL router sender addresses and therefore changed the protected packets. But even if the VPN connection over the network edge to the PC finally works: At least when the game console from a network MP3 collection in the other network access will link to, an end to the local VPN installation on the client. In then all network devices of one location over a secure connection all the network devices to access the other site. Since the router controls the power, need to change the network device, no configuration or software to install. Participants do not even notice the difference between local and remote site.

There is no difference in access to local and remote network resources, it still: the speed, or rather, the data throughput. In this case the DSL line is the limiting factor. Combining some two sites over VPN, both are connected to the Internet via DSL2000 so in either direction, the DSL upload speed of 192 kbit the ceiling. This can indeed be great to play a multiplayer game between two PCs or consoles. Also open an Office document occurs in a reasonable time. But who, for example, with its Noxon wireless client to the MP3 collection in the Dreambox in other network wants to access is in MP3s with a maximum of 128 kbit/s. Even the display of a well-stocked inventory on a computer the other side is laying DSL2000 ordeal. What does a dir on the command line with five network packets, and around 5 Kbytes closed for traffic may, in Windows Explorer been only 100 Kbytes to generate traffic. Anyone familiar with the Explorer file tree navigate to reckon therefore with every click five seconds of reflection. As determined at the VPN connection to upload to the server side, the speed, you should at least for professional use where the DSL upload to 384 or increase to 576 kbit/s.

For the coupling of the two networks on the Fritz! we chose the open-source software OpenVPN decided. OpenVPN uses the SSL / TLS protocol, making it much easier to configure than IPSec, but also secure. Also exist in addition to produce binaries for OpenVPN Windows - and Linux PCs and versions for the MIPS processor 4KEc the Fritz Box. The main argument was, however, that an active community in the ip-phone-forum for quite some time with this issue deals with problems and happy to help. In principle, the installation of the VPN connection quite simple in both Fritz Box routers are only the OpenVPN binary a common encryption key file and a configuration file to control the OpenVPN network parameters necessary. However, results here have a little problem. There is only one place in the said Fritz box can be permanently stored data, and even after a reboot are available again: the configuration file debug.cfg in / var / flash.

Prior to the interconnection of the networks you have to make a few thoughts about the IP addresses used. By default, the Fritz! the private class C subnet 192 168 178. All network equipment will therefore from the DHCP server of the box an address that begins with 192 168 178, the box itself is usually 192.168.178.1. Since we want to interconnect two networks, but these may not be in the same subnet, since otherwise, for example, duplicate IP addresses. So you have to put at least one network to another address space. To do this in the web configuration of the Fritz Box. The appropriate entry on Windows / network settings / IP address. This paper is one historically conditioned power to 192 168 100, the second on 192.168.1. In your choice, you are in the range 192 168 free, but you should not use the 192 168 200, since it addresses our configuration needed for internal routing purposes.

If you use a fixed IP address in use, network devices ( print server , multi-media clients), you should switch their addresses before subnet in the Fritz! change the box. After the change of the subnet, the devices are usually not about your old IP address is reachable. OpenVPN offers various opportunities such as fixed key files and certificates to secure the connection over the Internet. For our purposes, a simple static (preshared) Key is perfectly adequate, since we do not need management capabilities for large networks such as a key management. Before you begin the installation, you need the common key for all VPN nodes. OpenVPN is working with a 2048-bit encryption key file. To keep the computational costs low, the software uses them only 128 bits for encryption after the Blowfish algorithm and 160-bit HMAC-SHA1 for the signature of the package. Under the current encryption this is also the medium term do not break.