Thread: Need to create network- ubuntu, windows and printer

Need to create network- ubuntu, windows and printer

Hello, I would like to create a local network at home which allows me on the way to be able to exchange files (images, movies, openoffice, and so on.) and be able to print a file from any PC. I encompass a netgear DG834GT router and a HP C4400 printer (scanner - printer). The first computer (fixed), is Windows 7, plus next to the router and printer. It is connected to the router through a cable, not like other that are wireless, and as well to the printer cable. The second computer is running ubuntu 10.10. The last two are PC under Windows Vista and windows 7. As a result I would like to, since each PC, on the way to exchange files from Windows to Ubuntu and vice versa, but also print without going through the Internet, thus sending the file to the computer 1 that would send to the printer. I searched a long time on the internet but I did not find anything that might allow me to do all this. Thank you in advance.

Re: Need to create network- ubuntu, windows and printer

I do not understand or what is the problem, you have installed a network printer and shared windows 7, I cannot assist you, I know windows 7, but it must be the same principle, you share your printer, and you install the other over the network. For file sharing, for ubuntu, use samba for the rest, enable sharing network and share the files you want, in short, not anything fancy.

Hello. Thank you for the quick response. The worry is that I do not understand much about networking, and I do not understand how to make one. I looked all over the place on the internet but I cannot find. And to set up a network printer, I found some tutorials, but I cannot tell if my computer to make use of ubuntu, knowing that my printer can connect to the Internet.Thank you for your help

As per my knowledge I think that Internet has not anything to do for the printer. But you can try the below.
    Step 1: If you have your printer on your post 1 in the property system must be shared with windows 7
    Step 2: From another Windows workstation you need to install a new printer/ Network, and so on. If you need any other information regarding to this issue, Please let me know.

Hello, I just completely submerge myself in all this. I installed a residential group (named WORKGROUP) between my position 1 (fixed in windows 7 ) and my position 3 (in windows 7 ). I managed to my printer sharing between the two and it works. Now my trouble is I cannot put my 2 PC (laptop under ubuntu) on that network. When I go on, I have a folder MSHOME gives me: "Unable to mount location" and giving WORKGROUP: fixe01 and portable01. And after that double click gives me a window asking me for a username, domain and password. I've never seen it before. I have also tried to install samba with RTU_samba. But I do not know how to put the pc in top seven .Thank you in advance