Thread: Gigabit network: CPU limited

Gigabit network: CPU limited

My setup:
    1. Server: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor, Gigabit network card
    2. Client: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 3.00GHz, Gigabit network card

Both functioning Linux Mint and all joined through a gigabit router utilizing cat 6+ cables. Local HDD file duplicate is about 90 MB/s on both computer. Doubling files over the network appears to be limited at about 30 MB/s. From the top command I can observe that both computers utilize all their CPU resources, generally just 1 core is utilized. I attempted copying files utilizing Samba, NFS, and HTTP and with the SCP command: result is all the time similar. Am I doing something incorrect or is it only the way it is? Did you ever manage to get superior transfer rates on Gigabit Ethernet? I mean genuine file transfer, not just a few technical measurements on the physical layer.

Re: Gigabit network: CPU limited

I comprise an Acer Aspire R1600-U910H with an nForce gigabit network adapter. The highest TCP throughput of it is about 25MB/s, and in fact it is restricted by the single core Intel Atom 230; while the highest throughput is reached, the CPU usage is about 60 percent to 70 percent, which matches to full use considering this is a Hyper-threading facilitated CPU. Can rising the TCP window size resolve the trouble? Is it a common setting in the Operating system, or application specific?

It sounds like the networking card has a quite small buffer and is in use in break off form, you might be able to enhance throughput by switching to polling, if it is supported by your NIC and driver. On the other hand, the trouble likely cannot be wholly set on without switching to a NIC with a bigger buffer, which maybe isn't achievable with that hardware.

I purchased a D-Link DIR-655 today only to observe if the gigabit Ethernet would actually be faster. On my two machines that ware gigabit competent, the transfer rate not at all got over 12 MB/s. This was hardly quicker than the 20/100 TRENDnet router I was utilizing earlier. Now starts the lengthy remarkable journey of figuring out why the transfer speeds are so sluggish. Anyone know more about this? Any idea or any suggestions?

Sometime before, I experienced my network that has gigabit LAN on Asus RT N16 wireless router. File transfer ratio between two gigabyte LAN both wired onto the N16 router is on average 50 to 60 MB/s. While I utilized some software I can observe the fracture rate of 900 Mb/s and inferior burst of about 400 Mb/s. While I attempted lots of times, I view the data transfers all the time switch between these two burst rates. For the duration of that time, while I experienced 100 M transfer speed, it was at around 90 Mb/s to 95Mb/s. It appears your gigabit speed at 15 MB/s or 98Mb/s is low; possibly ensure to be certain that the gigabit LAN is functioning at gigabit rate. As well Ethernet cable can cause trouble, extremely old cable can have meager contact, causing your network to negotiate and put at low speed. Gigabit require cat5e or cat6 cable, if your cable is cat5, it might not provide you gigabit rate, except it is small length.