Thread: Viruses in Linux Mint

Viruses in Linux Mint

Several days ago I wasn’t using Linux Mint in my computer. Yesterday I bought it from my friend. He had a latest version of Mint in his computer. I took one USB stick and went to his house. But he refused to put the USB stick on his computer due to possible attack of worm. So he put it in a blank CD. Now my question is, I am using Linux and it didn’t select any virus though. So why he is afraid of? It has been 10 years since I have started using Linux and I didn’t get any problem about viruses. What would be the reason for his caution?

Re: Viruses in Linux Mint

My individual reply to that post is Linux is a virus free platform or an OS. However as a substitute of me clearing up over and over and replying the previous era query regarding “is Linux gratis from Virus?“, I have subsequently accumulated each and every one the articles that I interpret previous to to back up my respond. What he would almost certainly have been worried regarding would be linking your flash drive on the way to his computer. Linux has no recognized "inside the wild" viruses, although it can with no trouble harbor and spread viruses in support of additional operating systems.

The OS itself is moderately secure from disease, except there are further and additional examples of malware printed purposely to assault browsers. Frequently these uncover of a quantity of appearance of Javascript. The foremost obsession to accomplish is enabling "Noscript" inside Firefox. Chrome has a comparable addition named "Noscripts". This will obstruct each and every one Javascript from in a row within your browser. There might be some malicious coded hidden in your computer which do not harm anything in your computer but when they jump towards other OS then they will.

Seeing that somebody new-fangled to GNU/Linux I am gone speculating if there have been whichever instances of malicious code or virus that worked out and genuine achievement in distribution. I can think that somebody through a set of technological PC awareness may be capable to aim and cooperate the computer of someone devoid of such sympathetic; however that’s not a virus.

Seeing that Linux cultivatea in recognition there will be further viruses/Trojans/worms created in favor of it, there will be additional abuses originated etc. The reality is, Linux/Unix based computers are much easier to inscribe viruses meant for, greatly easier in reality, bash scripts, perl scripts, even php CLI scripts, javascript built into websites, it's all available plus it's all trouble-free to carve. The dissimilarity is, receiving somebody to carry out supposed virus, is much further tricky, and if you do administer to dig up them to implement it, receiving that virus on the way to do harm further than that users precise client account, practically not possible.

Linux, despite the fact that it is harder to deal out a virus/malware portion owed to its open source environment, is the most important desktop platform intended for the majority virus writers from the time when they be familiar with the little number of V/M/RK elsewhere there in support of UNIX/Linux distros. On the other hand, seeing that Linux grows in attractiveness, and further valuable/private information is saved on top of Linux desktops, it will moreover turn into the aim of writers as well as creators of malware.