Thread: Cannot Ping from Windows 7 Pro on Network

Cannot Ping from Windows 7 Pro on Network

On the Workgroup I have Windows XP SP 3 PCs and along with that I have Windows 7 64 bit PCs as well here. Now I have fixed IPs for all the System here. With XP pc when I go with PING I have seen that they have no issues in doing that; they can ping as well as can see each other, but the issue remain with the Windows 7 PC here. What can be the issue is there something that I will have to do so that Windows 7 and the Windows XP can see each other. Also in addition to this I have seen that Windows 7 new PC can see each other as well here. Please let me know if there is anything that can be done so that the situation here can be handled in a pretty handsome here. Will like to see the replies soon in the case here.

Re: Cannot Ping from Windows 7 Pro on Network

It really seems that you will have to make some changes in the Firewall there so that the connection between the two different PCs can be set up there. Well really that is the easiest thing that I guess you are missing. Please make steps for this there and let me know if I was correct there. Also if that does not help you then again you can try to do one more thing. You can disable the current active Firewall that you have working in your case here and then you can try to create a new one and set the necessary changes in it and then see if the issue can be solved after this. All you will be required to see after making the amendments if file sharing on the LAN is allowed here or not. Do this and let me know about the result.

Have you made a new Home Group using the Windows 7 and then you are trying to access this using your Windows XP PC there. Well if that is the case then let me tell you the other PC that does not have Windows 7 will not be able to access that work group there. Actually non Windows 7 system will not be able to have an entry to this workgroup there. So I would like you to see if you can make Windows 7 PC to join the same NETWORKGROOUP or the WORKGROUP or the HOMEGROUP that you were having previously and see if that can really help in establishing the connection there. Let me know about the progress there and in addition to that please let me know what is the Antivirus on your system there.

I had came across with the similar issue and had made the suggestion in there and it really worked. In that case there I had seen the user was using the Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall and was saying that he might be getting the issue because of this. IN his case he was having Windows 7 on the laptop and Windows XP on the desktop. There is nothing that the Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall can block you there. Here is what I suggested there: Go in the Control Panel and then get an entry in the Network and Sharing Center option there. After that you will be required to go in there and the make the Amendments in the Advanced Sharing Settings there. Please make sure that Network discovery, File and printer sharing options are turned ON there. Whatever may be the Firewall in your case just see that you configure it so that the file sharing on the LAN can be allowed?

Here are the steps that helped me and would like you to see if the same can help you there as well. Go in the Network Sharing Center and then select Disconnect Homegroup. Then you will have to choose to select Connect to Network. Then you will be directed to a Computer Properties screen; there you will be required to join the Active Domain there. Well it really worked in my case and hope that you will have this working in your there. Actually it seems that you were having some issue with the Homegroup membership. Well I am sure that what I have suggested will really help you in your scenario there. There are some issues with the connectivity between Windows 7 and the Windows XP but you will have this solved here.

Thanks for making all the valuable suggestions in my case here; will let you know about the progress as soon as I give some of them the hit. The scenario was such that I was trying to make Windows XP PC connect to the new Workgroup created with the help of Windows 7 but well will see if the other way round really goes in my way here. Also I have a doubt if I was doing the things in this manner then why were Windows XP PC able to ping and see each other and yet Windows 7 PC were not able to do the things inspite of using the Workgroup made by Windows 7. Will like to have the Clarification on this. In addition to this I have McAfee Antivirus and Windows Firewall and nothing more than this. Will wait for the replies to this scenario.