Thread: How to access NAS drive from Thunderbird

How to access NAS drive from Thunderbird

I am a very fresh Linux user and so I require truly easy commands on how to do this. In my home I have a local network to which is joined all my PCs, few Windows XP and single Linux. As well there is a Buffalo NAS drive by means of a windows share Attic drive on it. On this drive I have amassed my profile for Thunderbird such that emails are to hand from any PC. With windows this has effected just fine. Later than plenty and many forum reading, in addition test and error, I have establish that I can rise the Attic drive on Linux and tie it to a folder /home/Tim/Attic utilizing the below command in terminal:
    Code:
    mount.cifs //192.168.1.101/Attic drive /home/Tim/Attic -o –rw
    So here I just want to know more about this. Please help!!!

Re: How to access NAS drive from Thunderbird

While I utilize profile manager in Thunderbird I can make a profile and choose the profile on the NAS drive through the Attic local folder with no troubles, but while I afterward attempt to begin Thunderbird I obtain a dialogue box with the lines: "Thunderbird cannot utilize the profile "Default User" because it is in exercise." and "To persist, close the functioning case of Thunderbird or select a dissimilar profile". Obviously I have verified that no additional PC is accessing the profile at the time. Fascinatingly I obtain the similar dialogue box on my Windows machine if I just attempt to unlock Thunderbird devoid of opening the NAS drive in the file manager earliest. Please can somebody assist with this problem as I have been struggling with it and a extremely steep learning curve for numerous weeks now.

Check out that:
    1. Thunderbird is not previously functioning on your Linux system, but has hang, leaving the procedure but no window.
    2. That you congested Thunderbird on Windows earlier than shutting down Windows.

If you have established both, find the way to the profile folder and ensure for the existence of "parent.lock", "lock" and ".parentlock" files and remove them. After that, attempt once more. These are generally removed mechanically while Thunderbird stops, but if it shuts down unusually they may have been missing behind.

Additional search exposes that I cannot write files or make folders on the raised attic drive and seeming at the attic folder in Nautilus it has a lock symbol on it. This just takes place in the right windowpane if I choose the Tim directory in the left pane. The attic symbol in the inferior left pane has no lock symbol on it. I guessed that this had a bit to do with permissions and so in progress to examine them. Seeming at permissions I can observe the below for Attic:

Code:
    Owner root: make and remove
    Group root: access files
    Others folder access: access files
    Every of the drop down list boxes are grayed out. I after that utilized nautilus to unlock attic as administrator and seemed at permissions there. They are all the similar as estimated, but the drop down list boxes effort. However annoying to alter the owner to Tim alters it for a part of a next then it reverts to root another time. Any try to alter other settings works until I click on "Apply permissions to enclosed files" while they relapse to the unique settings once more. In short it emerges not possible to alter the possession of the Attic folder. I have attempted utilizing CHOWN and CHMOD in terminal to no result. Any suggestions ?

Have you been functioning chmod and chown as root? You have to be root to alter any files possess by root, and you do that by the exercise of sudo. I don't mean to abuse you, but it is not obvious from your posts if you have finished that. If you have a profile on your home computer named Default, you are going to have troubles utilizing one more with the similar name. You may require altering the name of any one of them. This is assumption, though, since I don't utilize Thunderbird, favoring Evolution.