Thread: Windows 7 Starter: Hide router's password

Windows 7 Starter: Hide router's password

I just obtained a Lenovo S10 Netbook with Windows 7 Starter version for my sister and I have a query regarding configuring the Wi-Fi access. This is my first experience to Windows 7, so I will describe things as top I can. I clicked on the Internet Access symbol in the plate and up came the catalog of Wireless Network Connections. I chosen the one for our WPA-PSK encrypted router and cut and pasted my 30 characters Network Security Key and, I was linked to the internet and web surfing just excellent. Here is my query. How to I lastingly hide my router's Network Security Key? While I go back to the Wireless Network Connections and right click my router and choose 'Properties" and go to the "Security" tab, there is a little check box labeled "Show Characters" which will clasp back and onward between a string of points and the 'plain text' 'Network Security Key' for anybody to read. I am not eager to keep her setup to utilize our network if anybody with access to her Netbook can hunt for my router's WPA password. I have quite some tools attached wirelessly to our network, but this is the just one where I can observe the password in simple text. The others just show a string of stars or points to 'encrypt' the show of the password. I will be thankful for any assist and so will the sister that wishes to keep accessing the internet.

Re: Windows 7 Starter: Hide router's password

As far as others digging up your wireless key from her Netbook make certain your sisters account is a standard user account and that she does not contain administrator privileges. That way if she attempted to observe the wireless security properties for your wireless network she cannot except she typed the administrator password. In the instance screen shot if I am logged in as a standard user and attempt to ensure the Show characters checkbox UAC pops up and asks my administrative user password. So I think there is no need to hide the password. Why would you wish to hide it?

Why would I attach a device to my network which can exhibit my router's WPA password to anybody apart from me? Suppose that a guest wishes to utilize the network, the way Windows 7 appears to effort, the password is comprehensible to the guest or anybody else, which has access to the Windows 7 Netbook. This is a vast security gap. I have many wireless music streaming clients, a Macbook and a Windows XP laptop, not any of that show the wireless password one time it has been typed and saved to the device. On the toss side, I have had people setup my Windows XP laptop to run their network by setting up their router's password. One time setup, I can log in over and over, but I cannot observe what the password is. Fine for my requirements and smallest security risk for them. The device can access their network, but the password cannot be approved beside to one more device or person.

The most excellent way out is probable to situate her account to a standard account, so that she cannot perceive the characters. On the other hand, please note that windows XP was not any more protected, it only got some further seconds. If her PC was running windows XP and she allow a friend utilize it awhile, they could simply unlock regedit and perceive the WI-FI code. And it did not comprise any standard user blocks to stop it, not like windows XP. I might suggest an option or supplement: utilize MAC address blocking in your router's pattern to just permit devices you recognize and contain. Anybody else will get barren from your network, even if they know the key.

One way out, and one which I presently utilize, is a double Wireless LAN router. I separate guests on a dissimilar wireless network than the WLAN my sister and I utilize. In my case I utilize a ZyXEL NBG334W router. Guests can just access the internet. With that scheme you could, if you hope, provide your sister or any other guest, temporary access to your visitor WLAN, while they go away just alter the encryption key. FWIW I utilize Windows Connect Now and save off the guest WLAN settings on a flash drive which guests can simply plug into their laptops for quick configuration. If your wireless access point or router or clients do not support WCN you can simply copy and paste the network key by unlocking the flash drive and steering to the \Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt file and doubling the key to the wireless access point or router or client.