Thread: Skype and firewall

Skype and firewall

While I utilizing Skype, the connection blocking part of the firewall in NIS keeps popping up with the question "the computer (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is trying to access Skype" with the standard Block and Allow alternatives. I don't know which to select: while blocking all, I am scared of bucketing Skype's functionality and with permitting all, I am frightened of exposing my laptop to hackers.

Re: Skype and firewall

This is how Skype works. While you talk to one more people on Skype, you in fact connect to their computer, and after that that person connects back to you. So the firewall is doing its work, and telling you that someone is annoying to connect to your Mac. You can permit just that person to access Skype on your Mac by simply clicking on the Allow button, that will that person to access Skype when you are talking to them. While the conversation ends on Skype, the firewall will shut the connection down, and you will be provoked the next time. On the other hand, if you faith the person, you can all the time permit just that person to access Skype. On the other hand this is not suggested, since the person may not be utilizing the similar PC subsequently time they connect to your Mac.

This respond is puzzling to me. I get standard Norton firewall warnings "The computer is trying to access Skype.app on your PC. Do you wish to permit this connection? I have no means of knowing who the person annoying to contact me is. The majority of internet suppliers do not provide their subscribers fixed IP addresses and I have not at all seen a familiar name linked with "the computer attempting to access Skype". Is there helpful information hidden in this code?

Skype's protocol is similar, even though different, to protocols like AOL Instant Messenger. With iChat, everybody’s computer connects to the AOL servers. While someone needs to chat with you, they tell the AOL servers they wish to chat with you, and the AOL servers relay that message reverse to you, thus essentially the AOL servers are like a man in the center. But sometimes the AOL server will tell another person to connect to you straight.