Thread: Network-manager gets uninstalled while installing Wicd!!

Network-manager gets uninstalled while installing Wicd!!

I am facing an issue while installing the Wicd. I have not installed Wicd before, so there are chances that I am making some mistakes while installing it. The problem is that when I am installing the Wicd, the network manager gets uninstalled. So thought to take some hints from you guys. Please tell me why this is happening?? Also it would be much grateful if you provide some steps for installing the Wicd.

Re: Network-manager gets uninstalled while installing Wicd!!

When installing Wicd, Network-manager is uninstalled. Do not panic, is to avoid a conflict between the two programs. However, in some cases, will not uninstall Wicd Network Manager, so you need to do it via Synaptic. As you uninstall network-manager, if Wicd does not work, you have no network manager and therefore not to reinstall it. Download the .Deb on sourceforge to solve the problem easily. The following guidelines can reinstall network-manager from the installation CD in case of problems:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install network-manager

I think that you should also have knowledge about the basic things of Wicd. WICD (Wireless Interface Connection Daemon) is an application for managing network connections only for Linux. WICD is a free software project which has as a goal, the wireless connections easier and user friendly to manage all before. Wicd is an on Python -based replacement for the in Ubuntu installed by default network manager. The application is not GNOME libraries dependent, resulting in a high compatibility with other desktop systems such as XFCE, Fluxbox or Openbox guaranteed. WICD is backward compatible with Unix commands like iwconfig or ifconfig and supports the most popular encryption, such as Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Tunneled Transport Layer Security (TTLS). It is entirely via the console user interface (wicd- curses ) configurable.

By default, Ubuntu offers Network Manager as manager of network connections. Until the arrival of Lucid Lynx, I think no one complained. This involved the management of my wireless connection with my Livebox. Indeed, if it disconnects from the ADSL network for example due to a micro power outage, Network-Manager does not recover the WiFi connection when it re-started and finally, since I have Lucid Lynx and more in this case inform my WEP key again. With version 10.04 of Ubuntu, I discovered a second problem with Network Manager: those who read me for quite some time know that I use regularly in addition to my fixed a Live CD on USB persistent mode on the laptop provided by my employer to take advantage of Ubuntu and my personal configuration during my travels, which allows me to use this machine as I like without a trace. So I installed yesterday Lucid Lynx on one of my USB key to take advantage of this new version of Ubuntu then I'm connected to my Livebox with Network-Manager to install the few applications I need.

Indeed, if it disconnects from the ADSL network for example due to a micro power outage, Network-Manager does not recover the WiFi connection when it re-started and finally, since I have Lucid Lynx and more in this case inform my WEP key again. With version 10.04 of Ubuntu, I discovered a second problem with Network Manager: those who read me for quite some time know that I use regularly in addition to my fixed a Live CD on USB persistent mode on the laptop provided by my employer to take advantage of Ubuntu and my personal configuration during my travels, which allows me to use this machine as I like without a trace.
    I was also having an exact problem. To overcome these two problems, so I decided to replace Network Manager for Wicd. Wicd is an application that, like Network Manager supports the management of your network connections and manages perfectly including Wi-Fi connections by automating router that you use frequently if like me you are to move regularly. If you want to install it, first take some precautions:
    • Write down your WEP / WPA before starting.
    • Make sure you do not use VPN client, Wicd does not support VPN
    • As in earlier versions to Lucid Lynx Network Manager is uninstalled automatically when you install Wicd, first download the .deb Network Manager or Wicd one of (if the installation does not work and you find yourself without a network, you can install one or the other offline).

The precautions being taken, as Wicd is in the Ubuntu repositories, just open a terminal and to copy the following lines to install it:
    sudo apt-get install wicd
    If you're running an earlier version to Lucid Lynx Network Manager will automatically be uninstalled. Ubuntu 10.04, I was surprised it did not happen and so I uninstalled it myself to avoid any conflict between the two network operators. I suggest you after installing Wicd to copy into your terminal:
    sudo apt-get remove network-manager
    This being done, it remains only navigate to Applications> Internet> Wicd Network Manager to configure your connections. Wicd is automatically checked in the list of startup applications. To have the network connection icon in your dashboard, simply wait for the next time you restart your computer.