Thread: Home Network to test applications in IPv6 protocol

Home Network to test applications in IPv6 protocol

I am looking to set up and test my home network , after thinking for a while I ascertained that my network should be able to handle the new version of the Internet protocol i e IPv6 in order test my applications in that protocol. Yes I know that IPv6 has a long time to come in the market since IPv4 is still in use but I am looking forward to use it from now on , So if you have any alternative then please let me know and take your time as I am not in any hurry to take the step . I will first of all to a bit of research on it then will opt for the best convenient measures.

Re: Home Network to test applications in IPv6 protocol

IPv6 will soon be replaced by the new version called as Ipv6 . Although it is difficult to predict the exact time but I think it will it will happen in the upcoming 2 years . It is hard to say when all devices will be IPv6 compliant. A few IT organizations observers consider that the Internet will be soon leaving IPv4 addresses in a couple of years. However, with the arrival of private addressing and other techniques it could be extended longer than the previous version. This massive change will raise a big problem. All the older routers will not be used further , the users will have to replace it with a new one as they will not be able to upgrade it.

Well I think you can set up a Linux box to run this on IPv6 if you want to test your application . for this purpose, I would have used or preferred a new router , if I were in your place and fix my issue because any ways I will have to create an IPv6-through-IPv4 tunnel to access my network services. I am telling this because it is been already said that the Ipv4 is soon be replaced by the Ipv6 due to the lack of address spacing in the upcoming years.

I had good understanding with Netgear router , I was certain to use it but still look around and checked to see if they are any appliances that chains with IPv6, however I could not find much on the internet . So, I was looking for a model that is able to handle IPv6 and it should not cost much , it will be also fine if I could a firmware that would patch up with my old router. If asking about my router I have a combo DG834 ADSL device that acts as both modem and a router.

There is an added resolution for this issue if you are acquainted with Linux , then you can is to transform your router or modem into a simple modem by doing the necessary setting changes and set it as "bridge mode".Then you set up yourself a PPPoE connexion with your ISP service provider from the linux box through the modem of netgear which you have recently degragded. You will have to do a bit of changes such as routing, masquerading and establish the firewall settings on linux based computer as well, this will make MTU a bit less. Trust me it really works and you will gain full access on your network. And I think it will be much more easier if netgear development teams should discuss among and must provide IPv6.I firmware because I am really looking forward and expecting that they would recommend someday firmware upgrades which will be supported by their protocol.