Thread: How to access local server using external ip

How to access local server using external ip

I set up my home server on debian with the ip 193.178.1.201. I have apache running on it and I can access it without problems locally. I set the NAT to the packets that arrive on my public ip to be redirected to my server to port 80. So the http server is accessible from the outside, but not when I try from a local pc using the public or to more precise external IP address. There should be way through which we can access the local server using external ip, but currently I am not having idea how to do that. I want to how to achieve this.

Re: How to access local server using external ip

You cannot access a local server using the public IP address. Best to verify proper operation is to use a service outside your local network which will access your site through the public address. You can use the W3C XHTML to validate and if you get an error: 500 cannot connect to yoursite.com: 80. Then the meaning is that your site is not accessible from the outside in, otherwise all is well. You will probably be other error messages on the compatibility of your code to XHTML but it is something else. I hope that you have understood that you are trying to convey.

Use the address provided on the LAN when you are on the LAN. The best way to do this is to have a correct DNS resolution on your LAN or via the file "hosts" of equipment, either through a DNS server on the LAN. The people on the internet will have them, the public IP address for their resolution. The frame arrives from the wrong interface on your router. If you have any other doubt then let me know about that. I will try to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

I installed an LDAP server on my Snow Leopard. I access my address book so from the outside through my server via its IP address Fixed. But of course when I get on the internal network, he will not get my info, it will work if I put my local server address (192.168.xx), but I am not going to change my configuration every time. What is the solution for this trouble? I know that this is not the same problem but it is a similar kind of problem and I am sure that you can a specific solution for this problem.

LDAP need a reverse DNS resolution, now the next question that is coming to your mind is that. How to have a reverse DNS? Via a web host or the other? But of course you cannot access your website on your server; you can get that on the local address. Internally it is impossible to access its site hosted on its server. I am sorry to say that currently I am not having any related solution for your problem.

This kind of problem is related to the operation of the box. When a connection to your external IP comes from the outside, it is transmitted to the server but when connecting to the same external IP is the box that tries to answer them instead of returning it to the server. Hence the importance of having a local DNS server, which will take care of that area dyndns.org and return all other queries to the DNS server provided by your ISP. If you have OS X server, the DNS server is provided in the base, otherwise you have to install bind at hand. In addition, you need to configure your box, which probably acts as a DHCP server to give IP address to your laptop, saying that the DNS server is your server to you and not another.

Yes, freebox behaves correctly in this case. To bind, it is already installed even on Snow Leopard client; you just configure it and start it. Anyway a freebox and others is very limited in terms of routing and firewall, both have a good router. At that time, the box is transparent and it is the router to the external address, if the routing is done via the server it has that address and you just have to manage referrals. I hope that this will solve the problem you are the facing.