Thread: Calculating bytes or packets not seen in nic status applet

Calculating bytes or packets not seen in nic status applet

This does not actually go in software or networking, additional than I determine to go ahead and position it here. And I anticipate everyone be able to go subsequent to what I am asking. And in addition not create fun of me for the reason by means of the intention of it’s a query. Anyway, when you bring up the local area correlation status window (moreover commencing an icon in system tray or from network associations commencing control panel or commencing view associations in my network places ), surrounded by the "Activity" box, my work apparatus says packets and then it has the quantity sent and received. My apparatus at home says bytes and is prearranged in a comparable fashion. At present, I required to be familiar by means of if anybody knew how to revolutionize it from one to the additional. I be able to imagine of is with the intention of perhaps it’s a registry setting. I think I am having with it.

Re: Calculating bytes or packets not seen in nic status applet

Interesting, I speculate why your work apparatus says packets excavation says bytes too ,and there is no technique to revolutionize by means of the intention of commencing my understanding. Is your work apparatus NT 4.0 WS or w2k. (Versus your home apparatus, assuming you encompass XP Pro as I do, perhaps it was a misrepresented setting in XP) excavation says packets and I am utilizing windows XP at home and at work. Immediately a guess in view of the fact by means of the intention of I encompass no method of testing it although might it be based on your type of connection. Similar to network vs dial-up. The humorous thing is with the intention of it utilized to display, in the correlation icon, the transferred data in byte format, other than now has changed into packet.

I am working with two PCs side by side on the similar router by means of the equivalent software (XP Pro SP2), and one is demonstrating bytes, at the same time as the additional demonstrates packets. The merely dissimilarity is the network controller (one is 3Com, one is Intel). I encompass two network adapters in the similar apparatus working with WinXPpro and one demonstrates packets, and the additional shows bytes. This tribulations is dependent on the net card's driver, a number of drivers hold up or maintain bytes and packets, a number of merely support packets. The display is in bytes if the card's driver sustains or maintains it, otherwise it falls back to packets. Be able to you explain a diminutive deeper how this works disturbedmage.

The entire network transmissions are completed in packets. At the similar time as a packet is basically a collection of bytes, it is tranquil the method in which things are completed, and extra work would encompass to go into the driver in order to report the quantity of bytes sent and received, as the driver would encompass to figure out the size in bytes of every packet. That what I required to be familiar by means of. And not the entire network transmissions are completed in packets, switches transmit frames. Well, in view of the fact that Windows XP is not open source and the entire of the meters in Windows are produced by Microsoft, you are going to encompass to get a third party submission and utilize with the intention of instead. You not be able to revolutionize the behavior of the defaulting XP status applet.

I utilized Windows XP Pro on my network. On the other hand, on one of my computers (additional than none of the additional), the entire network activity (displayed when you make sure network status) is calculated in packets, not bytes. Be capable to someone give pleasure to assist me in altering the setting commencing packets to bytes. This is significant to me in view of the fact so as to my internet correlation has a limited download distribution, and I necessitate ensuring by means of the intention of I do not exceed it. This moreover depends on your NIC's driver or the network card itself. You be able to endeavor updating your driver to observe if this changes the setting, additional than I am approximately positive by means of the intention of you not be able to revolutionize the setting yourself.

I have encompassed a query regarding the Local Area Connection Status window in Windows XP. IN the movement segment, the bottom half, it displays the packets sent and conventional on this system. On the other hand, on one of my additional computers, it displays BYTES received and sent as an alternative. Is there a technique to revolutionize by means of the intention of approximately commencing packets to bytes as an alternative. On the other hand, one of my additional computers displays bytes. The strange thing is, when the LAN correlation is first initialized, it displays "packets". Additional than when network traffic begins, it exchange to "bytes."I desire to be capable to display "bytes" in the status as an alternative of packets.