Thread: Unable to establish Gateway to VPN connection

Unable to establish Gateway to VPN connection

I have been searching for a solution and trying to connect with VPN to my home from my friend’s home network. I know that connect we with can either a PPTP VPN connection or a Cisco client without any issue. My friend make use of a 3Com Office Connect Secure Router which wires up to 2 VPN tunnels and I am using NETGEAR Wireless ADSL Gateway DGFV338 (VPN) which chains a many number of VPN tunnels. But the connection is not working here. I don’t know whether it is my VPN tunnel problem or router. Now I am hoping that I could get some help to resolve this issue.

Re: Unable to establish Gateway to Gateway VPN connection

If the connection is not working then manually open the tunnel from your friend’s side and see what you will get. Does the 3com router have a setting to specify the ID type, like the Netgear? I think that the issue could be because of an ID type divergence. There are some known issues which I have seen on other products of routers with the ID fields and their respective type values especially when I attempted to apply an IP address and varied retailer routers at both end. First configure the ID category on the Netgear to text, dns name, or email address which the netgear supports. Then set in the suitable format text string and then try it.

For your issue on VPN I think should turn on PFS on both units, and turn the "Enable NetBios" option off on the Netgear (the 3Com doesn't prop up broadcast-forwarding/proxying among the networks). Just check that there are no firewalls or other routers between these two units and laso make sure that those WAN addresses are genuine. You must check that on the netgear component there isn't an over-riding setting to permit IPSec or some kind firewall rule to block it.

Many people have facing difficulty getting a VPN to operate correctly for the first occasion they put into practice. While creating or connecting VPN, remember that a gateway-to-gateway VPN is just similar to any other routed connection. There ISA Server operates like a router, so you must construct your network to carry a routed communications. When using ISA Server to create the gateway to gateway VPN connection, you must use two wizards:
    • The Local VPN Wizard- run at the position that will accept the calls from remote VPN servers
    • The Remote VPN Wizard- sprint at the remote site—the location commencing the calls

If you really expecting to remote-manage the 3Com then turn on a further VPN protocol (suggest PPTP) and it will allow you to use the integrated windows PPTP user to VPN in, then just initiate a browser to the 3Com's LAN address. The problem is you need to openly tell the windows VPN client to make use of PPTP. The reason behind this fact is you own the IPSec server enabled on the 3Com unit will cause the windows client to utilize L2TP/IPSec which is not possible to work.