Thread: Is there anyway to extend WRV200?

Is there anyway to extend WRV200?

I have a Linksys router WRV200 with me. My home network is built on this router. Now the problem is that I have recently purchased a laptop which is having a PCMCIA card for network connection. I want to have internet on this laptop. I would like to connect it to my router wirelessly. But since the laptop is all the time in move throughout my house, I don't have proper internet speed on the laptop. I want a device which can assure me the network speed. How can I extend WRV200 router and have internet throughout the home? Is there any device which can extend the network from the router? If yes then which one would you suggest?

Re: Is there anyway to extend WRV200?

Are you sure you need some device to extend your internet speed? Since you are using WRV200 router, which already comes with rangebooster technology, I don't think you actually require anything. It is capable of extending your network throughout the home without any additional requirement. If that doesn't help then you can at least change the antennas of the router and see if that helps. Changing the antennas with the larger one will definitely boost your network range and thus the speed. I have seen some people who were having the network speed problem, they have simply changed the antennas and the problem was solved. You can find the larger antennas from the Linksys itself.

Yeah I know that the antennas improves the network speed but it is to some extend only and I am sure it will be of no use in my home. My router is almost 60 meters away from the laptop and I don't think installing the larger antennas would solve the problem. The antennas are only helpful to those who wants the network range to be increased with a number that is countable with fingers. However, in my case the situation is completely different and I don't think this would be of great help. Is there any other way to solve the problem?

In such situation I would recommend you to install an Access Point in between. An Access point is similar to a switch but the only difference is that this device connects with other device through wireless connection. It has a wired connection with your router which is then shared with your other device wirelessly. With this you can increase your network range and share your internet to a place where your router is unable to reach.

I would recommend you to use range extender rather than access point. The reason being access point it costly when compared to range extender. And at the same time you have to configure the access point as per your router settings. This increases your headache of network setup and thus the time. On the contrary, if you place the range extender in your network, you do not have to worry about the configuration; the range extender automatically configures itself based on the network to which it is connected and so there is no user activity required. It is just an extender and so you can only notice as if you are directly connected to the router. The ip address assigned to your laptop would actually be coming from the router and range extender does nothing in that. This is not the case with access point. The access point assigns a new IP address to the device that connects to it and it even allows you to add more device to it.