Thread: Finding the IP address of another host in the network

Finding the IP address of another host in the network

I am having a desktop with windows operating system installed on it. I am connected to the office network with the help of the Linksys WRT54G2 Cisco Router. I wanted to know if I can trace my host IP address. I need a solution to find the Host IP address. Also give me some software available through which I can trace the host IP address.

Re: Finding the IP address of another host in the network

IP address is the unique number assigned to each devices connected in a network which makes of internet protocol for communication. You can find the IP address of another host or the system very easily. In order to find the IP address of the host you must be aware of the computer name or the domain name of the system whose IP address you want to find. If you know the computer name or domain name then you can use the ping command to find the IP address. To use the ping command follow the below steps:
    1. Go to Start, click on Run window.
    2. In the run window type “cmd” and press the enter key.
    3. The MS-DOS prompt will open. In the MS-DOS window type ping, the name of the computer or domain and press the enter key.
    4. The IP address will be displayed.

Well with the help of ping command you can find the IP address of the host. Also you can use the Magic NetTrace software for finding the IP address. Magic NetTrace is software that is developed for tracing the IP addresses. Magic NetTrace will also tell you the route between your system and any other host or system.

You can find the IP address of another host by using the "pconfig" command. The steps to find the IP address are given below.
    • Go to start and click on the run window.
    • In the run window, type “cmd” and press the ok button.
    • Now type “ipconfig” and hit the enter key.
    • The line that starts the IPv4 contains the host IP address.

Thanks for providing me the solution for this problem. Well from the above given solution it was possible for me to find the host IP address on windows platform. I wanted to find the host address on the Linux platform i.e. Ubuntu. But I am unaware of the steps of how to find. I need a solution so that I can find the IP address of the host.

You can find the IP address of the host on Linux platform very easily. You need to log into your Linux account. After logging into the account you need to right click the mouse button on the desktop. Select the terminal option to open a Linux command prompt. When the Linux command prompt opens type “hostname” and press the enter key. Your hostname of the computer will be displayed. Then you need to type “host <hostname of the computer>” and press the entre key. After pressing the enter key the host address will be displayed.