Thread: Vista Admin Issues

Vista Admin Issues

I have recently purchased a wireless device which I connected to my home network and for protection reasons I was supposed to enter WEP key. Since I am not an expert in remembering things I have written the key in a paper which with time I have lost somehow. Now I don't have the WEP key and so I am in deep trouble to add this new device to my network. Is there any way either I can add the new device with out the WEP key or if possible then I can retrieve the WEP key from my router? I tried to view the WEP key from network connections but I can only see the black dots over there. I suppose this is related to restrictions but I am the admin of my system and I should be able to see that, isn't it? Can anyone help me please?

Re: Vista Admin Issues

Yes you can get the WEP key and its simple. All you have to do is access the router from web utility and get into the page where you have entered the WEP pass phrase. However, to access the router from web utility you need to have router's IP address and the required username and password. Once you are sure about these details you can move on at any moment. Although it may be true that you are the administrator of the computer, you cannot still view the WEP key in Windows because Windows hides it for security reasons. However, you can check it on the router's homepage.

Thanks for that but all these information was written on that paper only which I have lost. I can find out the router's IP address but I don't have the username and password of the router. Is there any other way to get into the router? Can I retrieve the router login information somehow, may be with some tool? If that is not possible then what else can be done? Is there still any possibility of solving this problem?

Yes there is still one possibility of solving this problem. You can reset the router and set it to its defaults. Look at the back of the router or somewhere on the side panel and see if you can find a small button. You can even find a small indication over here that shows it is a reset button. Press and hold the button for 10 seconds while keeping the power cable connected to it. After that release the button and let it as it is to allow the lights to get stable. Once they are stable refer your router manual to access the web utility and reconfiguring the router once again.

You can even use some tool to retrieve the wireless network key. It will provide you all the details about your wireless connection such as key type used, network key, SSID etc. It allows you to easily save all keys to text/html/xml file, or copy a single key to the clipboard. It is available for free and so you can download it from internet without paying a single bug.