Thread: Router and DSl Modem not getting together

Router and DSl Modem not getting together

Hi friends, I having the major problem that I cannot work along with the Router and DSI Modem. What I did is first I turn off the power to everything. Then I connected the modem to router and router to computer and powered up modem. Now I wait for the lights and powered up router. Waited for lights and powered up computer. I found no connectivity for the wireless connection. After that I configured the Domain Name Server and then the connection was good. However, I am unable to access router and still I have no Internet connection. I can't figure out why the router cannot automatically get an IP from the modem? If I manually set the IP, subnet, gateway etc. in the router then all works perfect. I want some help. Please provide good technical solution for it.

Re: Router and DSl Modem not getting together

It seems to me that the DHCP is not enabled on to your router. The one way to check manually is to give the computer a static IP address. for example: 192.164.1.10/254.255.254.0. you can leave the DNS and the gateway as blank. Now you log on to the routers web admin at 192.164.1.1, now search for the DHCP. Make sure that it is being turned on. After doing it change your computers TCP/IP back to auto. Configure and install the routers WAN connected based on your ISPs requirements. Do make sure that your Internet Service Provider supplied modem and gateway is not actually a router itself, if so, change to bridged mode so that your router obtains the public IP address. these will surely help you.

When you try remove the router from your setup and go directly to the modem. How do you actually "Connect" to the Internet? Is it automatic, or do you have to click on an icon on one of your PC's? Did you install any Software on your PC's that came from your Internet provider? I think the units seems to me comes in both bridged and the gateway mode. Confirm which mode it is running. Does your computer get the DHCP from it and a private IP range? I search for it on to the internet with the help of the Google; I found that the modem and Cavalier memorize MAC addresses similar to some cable modems. It is more probably that the bridged DSL, I usually run Non-PPPOE, 1500 MTU. I have not come across this model previously.

i do have the very same issue but i now solved it, the methos which suggested by "Paisley007" really works for me. i am really thankful because I figured out, it was a DHCP problem, however instead of troubleshooting, I simply reset the router and problem was solved. it is amazing that, I have really solved my problem without wasting any time and money. thank you