Thread: How to check the Network coverage and it's quality ?

How to check the Network coverage and it's quality ?

I live in Mumbai. Recently a new ISP service provider named Tikona had emerged. I asked them for the unlimited plan . They asked me whether I wanted the wireless network, I could not deny it. They installed a device which was spherical in shape and hanged outside my window and one of them near my system . While using net , some time it happens that the web browser displays that " web page cannot be displayed ". So clearly it indicates that there is no network coverage. But I wanted to know whether there is any technical way to check the connectivity and the strength of the network. Please give your inputs.

Re: How to check the Network coverage and it's quality ?

There are a lots of such organization emerging as the internet service provider, they would have charged you more for the wireless setup and included it in the installation charges. The first device you mentioned which was spherical in shape is a catching point and would be placed in the direct line of sight of a device which would be installed somewhere nearby on tallest building closer to your location , that device would be the access point . If any problem goes in the access pint , then it is quite understandable that you will not be able to access the internet service. They would have given you certain number which they will associate with an area in which you reside. Then they will check for the connectivity. If there is no issues some of the networking devices has some issue in it. This applies for both laptop and desktop.

I think this is an external way of checking the connectivity of the signal. If any of the above stated circumstances occur, you will have to directly consult the service provider i.e the TIKONA Digital. You know the solution but the problem here emerges is how to isolate , whether it is the issue with the access point or some other device. It is also possible that something inside the CPU box is preventing you to access the internet. The best and the simplest way is to check the task bar in the window screen there you will be able to see two monitors, if there is a red x on it the network is disabled , if that blinks there is some network but the strength of the signal is too weak. Higher the intensity , higher will be the strength of the signal, if the lights are steady then the signal has full strength and vice versa.

I do not understand why you both are trying to make simpler things more complicated, the device which is hanged outside of your windows is not just for fun.It is a signal catching point , it would definitely have some diagnostics light on it.If not a a spherical catching a square shaped box will be there. Whether be the spherical device or the square box, both will have some LED on it. In common cases one is for strength and other is for power. First check the power light, it should always be on. Then check the other one. In most of the scenarios the color defines the quality or strength of the signal. If the light on the device is Amber in color then the the signal is there but not too strong, steady green light specifies a healthy signal and if the light turns red in color then the signal is too weak to connect the with the network.

• Use Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services tools

You may try Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services as a first step to diagnose and repair common network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer. You should run both troubleshooters to determine if your problem is resolved.
    • Use Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services tools

If these Automated Troubleshooters fix your problems, you are finished with this article. If the troubleshooters do not solve your connectivity problems proceed to next Step.
    If you use an external modem, check the following:
    • Verify that the cable that connects the modem to the wall is connected securely. The cable will most likely connect to either a telephone jack or to a cable outlet.

• Verify that the cable that connects the computer to the modem is attached securely at both ends and that the connector on each end of the cable has clicked into position if it is a network cable. A network cable will resemble a telephone cable, although it may be thicker, and the connector on each end will be larger.

If the cable that connects the external modem to the computer is a USB cable, you must perform some additional checks. A USB cable will have different connectors on each end of the cable. One end will be flat and rectangular, and the other end will have a square connector with angles on two of the corners. To verify a USB connection, try the following:
    • If the modem is attached to the computer by using a USB hub, try to bypass the USB hub. You can bypass the USB hub by plugging the cable from the device directly into one of the USB ports on the computer.

• If the modem is plugged into one of the ports on the front of your desktop computer, try plugging the USB cable into one of the ports on the back of the computer instead. Some computers do not provide sufficient power to the front USB ports. This may create problems with the connection to the modem.

Checking the network connectivity also depend on the type of network you are using right now. If using a dial up connection you will have to check\k the phone lines. Since in the dial up connection you can either use telephone or access the internet over the phone line, you cannot use both of them simultaneously. To check the network over the dial up, just unplug the RJ11 pin from the modem and connect it to a telephone and check whether the dial up tone is audible or not, if yes there is no issue with the network line but there might be some issue with the modem itself. Do the power cycle on the modem. If you use a n high speed internet you can ping the Ip address in the console and typing the command 'ipconfig' and check for the valid IP address. If the IP begins with 169, the address is invalid.

I use a data card to access the internet , it is a small wireless device and is attached to the USB port, There are lots of such data cards are available in the market from different manufacturers such as Reliance Netconnect and TATA Photon . But mine is of MTS, to check it's connectivity, once you plug in the data card in the USB port , the application pops up automatically and after a while you can check the network with the number of vertical bars that resemble to a tower, this is the same technique to check the network availability in the mobile phone.