Thread: unable to share permissions on FreeNas

unable to share permissions on FreeNas

I am trying to set up the file permissions for sharing in FreeNas, but somehow I am not able to do it and facing lot of difficulty. I am trying to set the permissions through the web GUI of FreeNas. Here are the details that what I did till now:
    • Users / Group:
    • Me / Administrator
    • user 1 / guest
    • user 2 / guest

now the thing here is that I want to update and set different permissions for different users. I want all the access permission with me and very limited one to the other users of my system. Please help me in solving the problem and also let me know how to set the permissions.

Re: unable to share permissions on FreeNas

Yes it is possible for you to change the permissions on the freenas and do this you have to just go to the interface of the Freenas and from the extreme left side of the screen you will find many options in that you have to select the Access. There will be options such as System, interface, disk, service, access and status you have to click on the access option and then other sub options will get listed and from that you have to select the user and group. The thing here is that it will help you to change the permissions for the users that you a want.

If you are using the windows operating system than you ahev to set the permissions for a particular forlder and then install or configure that folder on freenas. Here are the steps to set the permissions on any particular file or folder:
    1. Click Start, and then click My Documents.
    2. Select the folder or files you want to set permissions for.
    3. To select multiple files and folders, hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard and click each file
    4. Right-click the selected folders and files, and then click Properties.
    5. Click the Security tab.
    6. Click Advanced.
    7. Clear the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects check box.
    8. In the Security dialog box, click Copy.
    9. In the Permission entries list, click Administrators.
    10. Click Remove.
    11. Click OK.

I hope that this will help you to solve the problem.

To set permissions on the freenas you have to go to the console of the freenas, after enter the freenas console you will view the black screen with freenas console setup. Once you will open the setup that it will show you nine options. In that you have to select the “Reset the factory defaults”. It will help you to change the permissions. Also it will help you to set the permissions for the user which you want to set.

It is possible for you to share the files and folders on the freenas and also set proper priorities for different users. The thing here is you can only do this is you are the administration of that particular server and here in this case if you are the administrator then you have to just select the user you want to be share the same data and then set the proper permissions to each of then. For example you can't gibe read permission to user 1 and write permission to user 2 and all the two to the user so you can se3t on your own. I hope that this will help you so solve your problem.