Thread: Ethernet adaptor not showing in ipconfig

Ethernet adaptor not showing in ipconfig

Hi

Here's hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I've been trying to get my father-in-law's pc connected to the Internet. He has Frontier DSL.

He has a vista home premium Dell pc that was working fine till he tried updating his AV package last week. After downloading and installing the latest version of TrendMicro last week, it didn't appear to be installed correctly, so the trend micro tech recommended that they manually uninstall the old version. It was at that point they lost connectivity.

I spent long time on phone with ISP and they diagnosed a faulty modem. New one arrived today and still no connection.

Nvidia network adapter shows as working properly in Device Mgr, and the green light comes on when Ethernet Jack is connected to the PC.

Ping to the router returns error code 1231.

Ipconfig /all only displays the PC itself and a Toredo virtual tunneling adapter.

Why isn't the Ethernet adapter showing and how do I get it back again?

My plan for the weekend is to take my PC over there and make sure the modem is OK, then try switching network cards etc. If my network card in his PC doesnt make a difference, then I think i'm gonna have to restore the PC back to factory default and hope that does the trick.

Re: Ethernet adaptor not showing in ipconfig

It seems to have the issue with the driver which is not showing the compatibility and that is why your Ethernet is not detected by the IPConfig. Did you checked the Device Manger for the Ethernet Controller. If it is showing yellow flag then you need to install the driver for same. Also if possible for you then try to reset the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and see whether this resolve the issue with the same. If you are not aware of the TCP/IP resetting then i will advising you to go with the below given link which is having the detail about the same. Here is the link. I hope this will work with the issue which you are going through.

Reset TCP/IP

Re: Ethernet adaptor not showing in ipconfig

Thanks for the tips.

I tried my network card in his PC and no difference. I ended up re-installing windows and now it's all OK.

I think it was their AV installation that got corrupted with an upgrade. it wouldn't un-install and wouldn't install again either. latest version of AV is now running fine on the fresh windows install.

Cheers
    Red