Thread: SMTP architecture of a LAN

SMTP architecture of a LAN

We have recently changed the SMTP server in our office. The idea is to keep send mail but to simplify the whole spam detection, virus, etc and especially to pass Debian through this server. Our SMTP server is designed to detect spam, viruses, input and output as it seems it is recommended to do. My question is whether it is wrong to do scan/check the incoming mail (from outside) and not the one that is sent out by our users. After all it is the role of the destination SMTP server and then all of that discharges through our server.

Re: SMTP architecture of a LAN

Everything is relative. Do you have any customers who use the MTA using OS other than from the Windows world? Whether the risk is less but I think it would still carry out checks (without adding 50 rows in the body of the message announcing that the mail has been checked by the super antivirus....). But if the customers use Windows, it seems to me essential to make these checks.

Firstly, no, it is not the role of an SMTP server to filter spam/virus. An SMTP server is supposed to send and receive mail. Point out only if there is any spam and viruses existing. To clean it is in my opinion the first rule in any field. Then, when you see your internet access is cut off by your ISP or your domain/mail server is blacklisted because of your PC users via your mail server it will issue thousands of spam, I do not want to be in your place :
    - Explain to your users that they can not send mail
    - Explain to your boss why the box is idling
    - Explain to clients why nobody answers them by email
    - Find out how your area go to blacklist

I had not thought about being blacklisted. I start with Send mail and I wanted to venture a different architecture of the old. My goal is to save the max cpu/mem on the server but there are savings we can not do, I agree. Besides, what would be good practice to optimize its perfs smtp server? Several smtp servers perhaps; will this boost the hardware? I had a big doubt about my intention and that is why I chose to post here. And thank you very much. It's nice to use your skills and experience and move forward.

Now a days an email has become an important and failure is seen as a disaster. Barring exceptional cases, companies work intensely with e-mail now. So many years ago, a malfunctioning mail could be tolerated. Today, if you lose your server a few minutes, you'll quickly see the future users/managers to account to you. It is also important that the phone will have it in a few moment (you always have your mobile every time). I have a client who has sustained heavy damage to its infrastructure mail a few weeks ago. The mail arrived well, but 30 minutes to 1 hour after it was visible. Another customer this summer has deleted his domain => more e-mail. Except as orders and order confirmations with its own customers is by mail => no response/confirmation => it fits the terms of broken contracts with its clients => penalties.