Thread: Can I still run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs while using "Security Essential"?

Can I still run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs while using "Security Essential"?

I am currently running Malwarebytes Anti-malware program and SpyBot Search & Destroy on my computer. I would like to try Microsoft Security Essential. Can I use this program keeping my other two anti-malware software running on the same computer? I don't want to uninstall my previous software since I can't completely believe how will it work on my computer and I am in the environment where we are always at the edge or viruses and trojans. So a single moment without any antivirus or some buggy application can cause massive loss to me which is of course unaffordable to me. If however you think the above program cannot work with MSE then which other security products are compatible and recommended with MSE?

Re: Can I still run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs while using "Security Essential"?

The answer to your question is no and yes. No, because it is not recommended to run any other anti-virus or anti-malware software if you wish to install MSE on your computer. This may affect your computer performance and also create stability issues. Yes, because if you have disabled all the other software (like in your case Malwarebytes Anti-malware program and SpyBot Search & Destroy ) then you can definitely run MSE on your computer. Its simple if there isn't any conflict between two applications then there shouldn't be any issues related to it.

Re: Can I still run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs while using "Security Essential"?

Are you installing the third anti-virus just because you want to test the new antivirus software from Microsoft or you are not sure about your other antimalware program? If the reason is the first then its ok but if the case is later then keep a note that there is no such anti-malware in this world which can guarantee you about your protection. If you are running more than one anti-malware product concurrently on your computer can cause performance problems and system instability.

Although as others said spybot, malwarebytes or any other malware applications can be used along with MSE provided you are running them as when on demand. If they are configured to scheduled scan then it won't be interfering with MSE since they are not doing anything when MSE is performing scan process. However, if any of the anti-virus applications are running along with MSE then they all can conflict with each other. But if you are going to install MSE on your computer then I would suggest you can uninstall Spybot from your computer since MSE can provide you all the features which was provided by Spybot Search & Destroy.

I know that MSE is a complete antimalware protection that provides security from viruses, spyware, worms, trojans, rootkits etc. Do you think MalwareBytes is the better? And do you want to say that I should have just two MalwareBytes and MSE running on my computer? If what others says is correct then don't you think that MalwareBytes and MSE may conflict with one another? Sometimes I have seen that I have malware on my computer but Malwarebytes isn't finding it. Can you recommend anything better than this?

Yes Malwarebytes is one of the best application to scan your computer. It is one of the recommended anti-malware software by some of the computer experts. If you are unable to remove any malware from your computer then it is probably due to its not updated. Moreover, if you want to run MalwareBytes along with MSE then you have to configure MSE to ignore some of the files and processes. The below is the list:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Yes, it’s a good combination to run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs at the same time when you have Microsoft Security Essential installed on your computer. However make sure you have Malwarebytes free version since it doesn't have any realtime protection running that would interfere with MSE. However, I would recommend that you use SpyBot S&D and Malwarebytes as standalone scanners since because scanning computer with more than one application at the same time could cause conflicts. But, in my honest opinion, running more than one is quest helpful as they all look for generally the same things but the method used by each of them is different which makes difficult for a virus to get hidden.

question Re: Can I still run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs while using "Security Essential"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemog View Post
    Yes Malwarebytes is one of the best application to scan your computer. It is one of the recommended anti-malware software by some of the computer experts. If you are unable to remove any malware from your computer then it is probably due to its not updated. Moreover, if you want to run MalwareBytes along with MSE then you have to configure MSE to ignore some of the files and processes. The below is the list:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    Hi I just set up both on a newly reconfigured computer. However, the last file there, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    I cannot find.
    Also, the person who posted after you said its a good combination to have spybot s&D as well, do you know where I can find what files to exclude in MSE to keep them from interferring with each other? And one last thing, Do we need to set up spybot or malwarebytes to ignore anything on each other, or MSE?

Hi I just set up both on a newly reconfigured computer. However, the last file there, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    I cannot find.
    Also, the person who posted after you said its a good combination to have spybot s&D as well, do you know where I can find what files to exclude in MSE to keep them from interferring with each other? And one last thing, Do we need to set up spybot or malwarebytes to ignore anything on each other, or MSE?
    Since you have mentioned that you are having a newly reconfigured computer i really don't think that you should try out using multiple antiviruses at the same time, first of all it is not recommended, i have come across a number of people running in to several issues after having multiple antiviruses in their system, lastly they had to give up the other antivirus and stick to one for avoiding those issues.if you don't to run in to further problems then better stay with one of the recommended antivirus or the one that you like as per your choice. if you will uses more than one antivirus then they will interfere with each others processes leading you in to a number of problems further.

question Re: Can I still run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs while using "Security Essential"?

I just posted a question here beacuse I was told I needed to have Malwarebytes. I have Essentials and did a full scan on an apparent Hijack concern/issue and it came up clean. I was told by a tech person some time ago that Essentials was recommended. But I am under impresion I needed Malwarebytes for other bugs. See my above post if you are confused. I installed malwarebytes for possible issue based on the recommendation and also had 14 day trial added--which I will let expire since I can't afford it now. But see my other post for more clarity. So should I turn off other programs if I intend to run one for scan and for updating Malwarebytes??
    Last edited by vistadude; 23-04-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
    I just posted a question here beacuse I was told I needed to have Malwarebytes. I have Essentials and did a full scan on an apparent Hijack concern/issue and it came up clean. I was told by a tech person some time ago that Essentials was recommended. But I am under impresion I needed Malwarebytes for other bugs. See my above post if you are confused. I installed malwarebytes for possible issue based on the recommendation and also had 14 day trial added--which I will let expire since I can't afford it now. But see my other post for more clarity. So should I turn off other programs if I intend to run one for scan and for updating Malwarebytes??
    If you are willing to carry out the updating process of Malwarebytes and the scanning process with some other antivirus at the same time then yes you should turn off the other program, as i have already told that there are possibilities that these process may interfere with each other.

Just wanted to let you know that shutting off Essentials did the trick. I can update Malwarebytes, and the pesky bug that MWB was warning me about is apparently gone...at least for the moment. I plan on a full-scan of MWB tonight before bedtime. Thank you.

on the Moon! I can see Wheatley from here!

idea Re: Can I still run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpyBot S&D programs while using "Security Essential"?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrus View Post
    Although as others said spybot, malwarebytes or any other malware applications can be used along with MSE provided you are running them as when on demand. If they are configured to scheduled scan then it won't be interfering with MSE since they are not doing anything when MSE is performing scan process. However, if any of the anti-virus applications are running along with MSE then they all can conflict with each other. But if you are going to install MSE on your computer then I would suggest you can uninstall Spybot from your computer since MSE can provide you all the features which was provided by Spybot Search & Destroy.
    Incorrect, at least for SB&D 2.0. MSE is not as good as Spybot at actively detecting spyware and trackers in an internet browser, in my opinion. It also does not have a registry scanner, rootkit detector, etc. What would be nice is an option to fully integrate Spybot into MSE, or at least a plugin to combine the active-protection services. I love all the features packed into the SB2.0, but I don't want to choose between MSE or SB active protection.

Idea: Option for full integration into MSE via a plugin or the like to combine active protection services into one process. This way, there is no need to make a decision between the two.