Thread: Network ID grayed out cannot change domain/workgroup

Network ID grayed out cannot change domain/workgroup

I am having one issue with the device of mine which is running with the Windows XP professional service pack 2. I am trying to join a computer to the domain but while looking to perform the same from the Control Panel> Computer Name tab i come to know that the domain and workgroup are grayed out and does not got anything to work with the same. So if you are having any solution for same then please let me know about the same. As i have tried a lots of thing but unable to get it working. So if anyone is having the solution for same then please let me know about the same so that i can get the same working with the issue that i am going through.

Re: Network ID grayed out cannot change domain/workgroup

As per my knowledge and after going through the description that you have described above i think you are not having the enough knowledge about the domain set and that is why you are getting the issue with the same. To make the domain live you have to installed the Client for Microsoft Network for the network adapter of your device which will make the same working with the issue of yours. So if possible then install the same and see whether it is working for you or not.

I am not sure about the issue which you are going through but let me tell you that regarding the issue of yours i will advise you to delete the connection first and later on again recreate the connection which might got corrupted and following these will correct the same. So if you can then go through the same and see whether it is working with the issue of yours or not. Just copying over Windows/System32/drivers/browser.sys from any other machine and work with the issue. Also let me know whether you got this solution working for you or not.

Your new network can connect up to six workstations in a workgroup. A workgroup divides the corresponding tasks among the workstations. As a result, newer computers can provide disk space on their larger hard disks, and older computers can handle print jobs, set up Internet connections, or back up data. Larger networks distinguish between servers that provide services and client computers that use these services. As a result, the computers are specialized for their specific tasks. Your small network does not require this division of tasks. Every computer can take over server functions and use the workgroup's resources at the same time. Because all the computers have the same rights, this configuration is known as a peer-to-peer network.

If for any reason you need (or want) to change your computer name (or Workgroup), follow the instructions outlined below and you will in no time. Close all applications and make sure you are logged in with administrator privileges

• Click Start then select Control Panel
    • Click Performance and Maintenance
    • Click System
    • Click on Computer Name box. Here are displayed the computer name and current Workgroup
    • To change the computer name or the Workgroup, click Change
    • Enter a name for your computer to the Computer Name field
    • Enter a name for your Workgroup to Workgroup field
    • Click OK
    • If you changed your Workgroup name, a window will welcome the new Workgroup
    • Click OK
    • When a window prompts you to restart the computer, click OK

Look to disable simple in use file sharing. You got it in the folder options. With this security tab appears on the properties of the folder. Anyone know what could I do? I tell my situation, I have a domain with SBS 2003 and XP clients. I have a XP workgroup that is where I mounted the iis (it has to go on this to the force. Well first of all not find security tab in the wwwroot folder so you can restrict access to the web ( pc partition is NTFS), therefore, as one might do so only he could access the web a particular user? do not know if I explained myself, thank you very much!

I have gone through the detailed that you have given me regarding the issue of yours. And after going through all the detail if you are still unable to find the solution for same then i will advise you to contact then Microsoft regarding the issue which you are going through and ask for the help. As they are the manufacturer and having the knowledge regarding the same. So if you can then go through the same and see whether it is working with the issue of yours or not.