Thread: Force it to connect to internet over wireless only?

Force it to connect to internet over wireless only?

I have connected two computers via wireless router for internet access. Fist computer has Windows XP installed and the second one is running under Windows 7. I want that the first computer should access the external drive but I don’t know the way to do that. Is there anyone who knew the way to do that? Please post the way to do that. I have tried it on myself but was not able to get it done. Please post as early as possible. I am waiting for the replies.

Re: Force it to connect to internet over wireless only?

You should make the files to be shared. If the files are shared then only it will allow itself to transfer through wireless LAN to any other device. I did this when I wanted to do that. When I did that then I found that it is working. You should also try this but there is one problem with it that it gives low connection but will work.

You can use the crossover cable to do that. Just run a crossover machine between two computers and you have to make the IP address of one of the PC as the default gateway for the other computer and the IP address of other PC as the default gateway for the fist PC. This will work pretty well in such cases. Just do that in your case also and see the results

If both the PC's are using a wireless adapter to access the internet then you should make sure that the interface of LAN uses the different IP network address for example 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.02. If you do that then if there is any traffic between the PCs then it will go through LAN. This will alow the Internet to to through the default gateway that is your wireless router.

In accordance with your routing table, The traffic to 192.168.0.0/24 should go via interface 192.168.0.1 and if it is going through 192.168.1.4 then there may be some problem that it is not configured correctly. E.g. the drive may be mapped using the IP address as a replacement for of the system name. If that is the case for you then you should remove and redo the mapping.

Thank you very much all for your replies but I would like to give a special thanks to Spyrus because I get it done when I tried the solution posted by Spyrus. I crossover the cable and found it is working. I would like to suggest all who is searching for the solution for this to do this and I am sure they will also able to do this.