Thread: Norton Ghost 15 and Raid5

Norton Ghost 15 and Raid5

My two of my 4 drives in RAID 5 just let me go. I 'm going to have to change them. Now my old records were just 18 MB If I put 2 discs bigger, I could it use as 18 MB. The question I ask myself is: If I bought 4 drives larger and if I change disk after disk ( I insert a new disk, rebuild, and then I remove the old disk, rebuild, ... ) is that at the end I could have access to MB unused ? This experiment is it possible or am I doomed to ghost my drive , install my 4 new discs and ghost in reverse. I am using Norton Ghost 15. Please help.

Re: Norton Ghost 15 and Raid5

I think the best solution for you if reinstalling the server is not an option to prioritize a Ghost ( type Norton Ghost or another , see the articles on Clubic example) of your server. Then once your new RAID 5 built, you change your hard drive, recreated your raid by the RAID controller card and then you reinjected the image you made on your new RAID volume. It should however be careful, some software type Ghost does Offer not resize the partition and doa partition size identical to that created.

For example your partition must be default 80 gigabytes , while your new system should have 320 go to overcome this problem there is the possibility of using an software imaging that can redefine the size of the partition [ Norton Ghost ] or subsequent use software that allows you to redefine the partition size after install to check compatibility with Raid5. Be careful if you change RAID controller card ! ! ! Indeed , RAID controllers are not all compatible with each other . Sometimes , the driver installation of the new card under windows before migration little help to transfer the system, but the algorithm of parity RAID is not the same tone raid could become unstable.

Ghost lets you put in a single file all information contained on a hard drive or partition. use later when you want to restore your system to the state where you have saving to start Ghost which is in charge of unzip this file.
    For a disk of 1 GB, it takes less than 10 minutes to restore a hard disk. The compression ratio is about 1 to 2.Operation is simple once we understand the menus:
    - Disk to image to create an image file from your hard drive
    - Disk from image to restore your hard drive from file
    - Same principle for the partitions .
    extremely useful to companies and directors who want to multiply a configuration on multiple computers identical

In Device Manager , look for a entry entitled " Storage Controllers "in Windows Vista and " Controllers SCSI and RAID "in Windows XP and systems later operating . If this entry there , expand it and look for a controller in the submission ( Section 1). If the controller identified is a RAID controller, then the system is RAID mode. " Maybe he can not do my manipulation and it is mandatory reinstall the OS and load the driver RAID since the beginning of the install vista, so the fact of wanting to load an OS configured AHCI on a RAID n is not at all possible.

I also encountered a small problem, initially I installed my new RAID system 3- disk , thinking copy then all my data personal of the 4th disc in the RAID and then add the 4th disk in the RAID through Console Matrix Storage . But impossible to do because the " addition of a DD to the cluster " is grayed out , I have not tried to understand , I remade my RAID on 4 DD via the bios and restore my system (Ghost ),