Thread: IPv6 wired router?

IPv6 wired router?

I am current using Netgear model 614-v4 wired router and include IPv4 want to go for IPv6. I want to know if it possible for an IPv4 router to be upgraded to IPv6 by the use of simply a firmware update Or it require new hardware to install. suggest me options from which i can choose most convenient and known. is there other option so that i can go for wireless as i heard lot about it.
    Last edited by Colter; 15-09-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Re: IPv6 wired router?

Now a days no one goes for the wired router as many wireless router are available today. but wired router is better choice for home network. a simple firmware upgrade will not help your existing RP614v4-router to support IPv6 configuration. one of the company manufacture router is Apple who's product Airport Extreme wired/wireless router supports IPv6 which can be your option.

Other option for you can be try to use wireless router because in future there might be the issue of availability of a wired home router which are supporting IPv6 configuration. so if possible you can switch to wireless router for your network. as you are already using RP614v4-router with IPv4 you can not simply upgrade it to support IPv6.

IPv4 is present in the market for many years but however in the near future there will be need of the IPv6 addresses and there are many companies already providing protocols devised to cater for IPv6 network connectivity. you can go for SOHO Routers which is IPv6 compatible, this can help you to move from IPv4 to IPv6.

As you are asking for upgrading your RP614v4 router from IPv4 to IPv6 by a firmware upgrade, this can not be possible. it might happen in the future that no one will use wired router and it may not exist. you can go for many other wired router provided by companies like Apple's Airport Extreme wired , SOHO Routers etc. you can compare both and select which can fit into your requirement.

IPv6 has many features which are better than IPv4 as:
    • Larger IP address space used.
    • Have recent technologies- Multicast, Security, Better support for complex networking.
    • It also allows flexible protocol extensions.
    • It also follows the key design principles which is of IPv4.

So you can go for IPv6.