Thread: Accessing a problem with windows share

Accessing a problem with windows share

I have a Windows 7 Personal computer Accessing a share drive on a Server 2008 machine. I Have mapped a drive T: to the \ \ servername \ sharename address and That Can access files using address But if I type the address in the windows explorer it Gives me an error and does allow access. Please help me at your earliest.

Re: Accessing a problem with windows share

It should be the same if your DNS config is okay (Which is your case). Please try to Perform What is Mentioned in the previous reply and please make sure That you've got the last Microsoft updates on Win7. If the problme is not resolved yet then specify which method are you using share access method are you using and also What is the error (write it like it is shown).

Thanks for the response and hence I have tried and access the \ \ servername \ sharename address (instead of the t: which Currently works) by typing it Into the address box on the my computer window. I will post the exact Wording of the error tomorrow when i get to work and write it down dog. (Sorry) Please help.

Please make sure if your are Able to access the share with the use of the IP address of the server.

Use \ \ xxxx \ sharename with (xxxx is the IP address of your server).

If you are Able to access the shared folder with the IP address, please make sure That NetBIOS over TCP / IP is enabled on the client computer. If NetBIOS over TCP / IP is enabled and you Still Have the same problem, please check if you've got a DNS A record for this DNS server and add a domain suffix for your client on your computer.

OK, Tried Accessing the share using the IP address and it work. So I enabled netbios over TCPIP and accesing Tried it the \ \ servername \ sharename way and it did not work. Checked That I had a dns record for the server using nslookup and it found the correct IP. If the servername is servername.something.com should I add the whole of the name as a DNS suffix? The computer is connected to a workgroup "WORKGROUP" and the server is on a domain "THEDOMAIN" But That is the same for most of the PC's (ActiveDirectory is not enabled)

You put something.com.au only to the DNS suffix (just the domain name server Which is your member of). Please Clarify the problem: at the Beginning of your last reply, you Mentioned That You CAN NOT access the share. After, you said you are Able to access. So, you are Able to access or not with the use of the NetBIOS name of the server. Please Explain What You Want to do Exactly.