Thread: Building a 20TB file server, suggestions?

Building a 20TB file server, suggestions?

I have decided to build at least 20TB file server. I am not vey expert in networking Therefore I am not very much sure that where should I start like which disk, controller, raid, file system case etc.

Previously I was running the single drive with no raid. I am planning to start with 10-15 2TB drive. Can you suggest me the steps to do that.

Thank you.

Re: Building a 20TB file server, suggestions?

I was searching on internet and I found that many of the people are saying that WHS is not good because it has some silent corruption the main thing that they don’t like the most is the way it handles the data.

You can set up ZFS, Which is very easy to set up. There will not be any need for anything for file transfer. We can use linux easily without need for windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I was searching on internet and I found that many of the people are saying that WHS is not good because it has some silent corruption the main thing that they don’t like the most is the way it handles the data.
    As you told that WHS is not good for file transfer and you have searched it on internet. I also know that WHS has a corruption issue earlier butas far as I know they have solved this problem some time ago. Is your information is updated or you have the old information.

There are drives all over my room and majority of them are the pc and they have assigned 1 category per drive. But it was running out of drive letters and I wanted faster speed. I got 3ware 9850se card, 16 ports bought 6 x 1.5TB hds and dumped all my drive to raid 5. Now I can play games on my machine and also can transfer files from one node to another.