Thread: Windows Firewall and Network Discovery

Windows Firewall and Network Discovery

I am having an issue withe Windows Firewall which i think is conflicting with the Network Discovery. I am not getting any option to enable the Network Discovery in the Windows Vista in my laptop. I can access the Network Discovery only when i will disable the firewall. I wanted to access the same while firewall is enable. So if any one is having solution for same then let me know about the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows Firewall and Network Discovery

While you are creating an network location or selecting a network location then the Windows automatically assigns the network Discovery to certain network and then start the Firewall for the same. In your case i think that the Windows Firewall port is not opening while the Firewall is ON. To get rid of this issue i will advise you to recreate the Network Discovery location.

If i am not wrong then by default the Windows Firewall always blocks network discovery but if you are looking to enable the same then you can do that with the help of the below given which will enable the Network Discovery.
    • Click on Start
    • Go to Control panel
    • Type network in search
    • Click on Network and Sharing Center
    • Click on Change advanced sharing settings
    • Click the chevron Picture
    • Click Turn on network discovery
    • Click Save changes

If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might prevent you from completing these steps. Network discovery is a network setting that affects whether your computer can see (find) other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers on the network can see your computer. By default, Windows Firewall blocks network discovery, but you can enable it.
    1. Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.
    2. Click the chevron Picture of the chevron icon to expand your current network profile.
    3. Click Turn on network discovery, and then click Save changes. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

For More Click here.

If you are getting any issue with the enabling of the Network Discovery with the windows firewall then i will advise you to enable it manually. For that you have to check out the below given link which is having the same problem discussed and lots of the solution also there. So try this out and work with the same.
    Turn On and Enable UPnP or Network Discovery in Windows Vista
    Cannot turn on Network Discovery

If nothing is working for you from the above replies then i will recommend you to forward the question to the Microsoft and let them solve the problem of yours that you are getting with the Windows Firewall and Network Discovery. They are the developer and might be knowing the cause of this issue. So contact them for same.