Thread: Safe to exclude "%SystemRoot%\Repair\Backup\BootableSystemState\Re gistry\default"

Safe to exclude "%SystemRoot%\Repair\Backup\BootableSystemState\Re gistry\default"

We are using a third party backup solution on our server which recently failed because it was unable to detect "%SystemRoot%\Repair\Backup\BootableSystemState\Registry\default" on our server. Can we exclude it? Will it be safe? BTW why does the software uses the above thing? Is my registry corrupted? What can I do in such a situation?

Re: Safe to exclude "%SystemRoot%\Repair\Backup\BootableSystemStat e\Re gistry\default"

The error states that there is a bad registry backup in one of your systemstate filespace. It occurs if there is more than one system state file space for that node and moreover it had some bad registry backup in the reported file space. In order to resolve this problem, you need to use a registry cleaner.

Re: Safe to exclude "%SystemRoot%\Repair\Backup\BootableSystemStat e\Re gistry\default"

After a lot of research I come to the conclusion that it is the problem of IBM backup program called TSM. To solve this problem, make a new folder at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup in order to prevent it from backup. Now manually create a file in "%SystemRoot%\Repair\Backup\BootableSystemState\Registry\default" folder so that there is always a file in it.

I tried a lot registry cleaners but it didn't helped. I even tried to create a dummy file at the same location where you said. Created a new directory manually and then making an empty text file without any extension but later on it disappeared all of a sudden. I suppose those has been deleted by the software itself.

IBM finally admitted that someone at IBM knew something about the file and that it is not safe to exclude it. The deletion of the file is the part of TSM backup program, so there is nothing odd about it. Don't worry! You may now have a question like if that's the program's need then why does it deletes the file before the backup actually completes? However this question is still left unreplied by IBM and so no one knows about it.