Thread: DHCP Scope Option 135 Domain Suffix Search Order in Server 2008

DHCP Scope Option 135 Domain Suffix Search Order in Server 2008

I am currently going through the procedure of migrating a site from their DHCP on their own domain to my DHCP on my domain. Their DC is 2003 where as I am running with 2008. I am using to mirror the configurations which they have right now but I do not have 135 Domain Suffix Search Order as an available scope option to Choose in this case. I have tried to find a ton and only got soem articles which is indicating to the Server 2003. Do you have any idea about the method to add the same option in the available options list ?

Re: DHCP Scope Option 135 Domain Suffix Search Order in Server 2008

DHCP options 132-136 is not specified as the default options but you are able to make these non-default DHCP options:

1. Click onto the "Start", indicate the "Administrative Tools" and then after click onto the "DHCP".
    2. Make a right-click on the DHCP server and then click onto the "Set Predefined Options".
    3. Click on the "Add".
    4. Type the options' name, option code,choose a Data Type like IP address
    or String, in case the data type is binary or encapsulated then you have to choose the the Array option.
    5. Click on the OK button to save the changes and then move to the Server Options or the Scope options to modify the previous option.

I am working with our TAM right now .This procedure was just a little different than listed in such type of string.

1. Running upon the 2008 DC running DHCP, open up the DHCP MMC.
    2. Navigate DHCP and choose the DHCP server name.
    3. Just make a right Click on the IPv4
    4. Choose "Set Predefined Options"
    5. Click on the Add.
    6. Name: "Domain suffix search order"

Data Type: String
    Code: "135" (without the quotation marks)
    Description: "List of domain suffixes in order" (without the quotation marks)
    String: enter your search suffixes separated by comma with no spaces

- sample1.com,sample2.com,sample3.com

7. Click onto the OK to save changes .

8. Exit from the DHCP MMC and reboot the DHCP Server Service.

9. Open the DHCP MMC again and now scope option 135 is specified .

I am just configuring up the DHCP Scope for another new one site, I am going through the configuration that said site had configure up previously. The previous DC is 2003 the new DC is 2008. One scope option which they had specified was "135 Domain Suffix Search Order". Does somebody have any idea about the procedure to associate the same as an available options ? I tried to search upon the google and only got some articles referring to 2000 and 2003 server. Any suggestion would be helpful .

I have got a multidomain environment with two of the domains. The root domain of the forest is city1.domain.net and then I am running with different series within the same office: city2.domain.net

So currently, I need to configure the Domain Suffix search the order for entire clients in the network. All are windows compatible version, XP or Vista. I have done the some research and found that Microsoft applied this one options within the group policies, but I have modified the suggested option within the default group policy for city1.domain.net, enabled the same and tagged city2.domain.net, but after all when clients found the DHCP options, they don't get the Suffix list, so I have to go for writing the FQDN in order to indicate the computers on city 2.Any suggestion ...