Thread: Server pingable but can't RDP or connect to UNC path

Server pingable but can't RDP or connect to UNC path

We are running Windows Server 2003 SP2 server as a file server in our office. It's configuration includes 4GB ram and 2GHz Dual core CPU. The problem I am having is that we lose the access to the server very soon and it happens almost every day. We can ping the server but cannot connect it with RDP or UNC, not even with the IP Address. If I try to log in to the server via console I cannot get the log in screen. Nothing appears on the event logs. The VMware shows processor and memory activities but not for network activity. What is the problem with my server? Need some assistance!

Re: Server pingable but can't RDP or connect to UNC path

If you are unable to check the network activity from Windows than use command prompt for the same. Go to the command prompt and type "netstat -an". Press Enter. There seems to be some ports issue. May be your server is not having enough ports open to make connections.

Make sure that the terminal server can contact an activated Terminal Services Licensing server which has enough TS CALs installed. Go to Start, Run "Services.msc", Terminal Service and make sure the Startup Type is automatic and Status is started. Make sure that the terminal service is listening on the port 3389 and the firewall is not blocking this port. Make sure that those particular users are already added who need to remote desktop to the Remote Desktop Users group on the terminal server.

Try to perform a clean boot of your Windows Server 2003 computer. For this go to Start, Run, type "msconfig", and then hit Enter. Go to the General tab, select "Selective Startup" option and then uncheck all the check boxes: Process SYSTEM.INI File; Process WIN.INI File; and Load Startup Items. Go to the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" check box, and click on Disable All button. Save this by clicking on OK button. Restart your computer for changes to take effect.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. But none helped me. After a long discussion with my support team I have finally built a new server for our office. I have also created a new virtual server for the same. Now we have upgraded to Windows Server 2008 64 bit edition keeping in mind that we add more memory and hard drive in the near future.