Thread: How to regain access to previous version of files in Windows Home Server shares

How to regain access to previous version of files in Windows Home Server shares

I have Windows Home Server setup but it is giving me problem. Whenever I try to retrieve any file from the server, I receive an error describing file handling error. We are able to open the file on the server but it isn't from my client computer. This was not the case until today morning. What has happened to my computer suddenly? Why it is not able to open the network file? What should be done in such situation?

Re: How to regain access to previous version of files in Windows Home Server shares

1. Log into your Windows Home Server as administrator using Remote Desktop (RDP).
    2. Open Window Explorer, go to C:\fs\. You should see your drives listed here as drive letters or numbers.
    3. For each of the secondary drives (C:\fs\X, where X is drive letter or number) do this:
      • Go to C:\fs\X\DE\shares\someshare ("someshare" = Software, or Public, or…)
      • Share a single folder within this share (right click, sharing and security).
      • Assign a unique name to each of the shares.
    4. Access the WHS shares from the shortcut on the WHS desktop or from windows explorer on a client (\\server\shares for WHS RTM default install, \\hpserver\shares for HP Mediasmart default install)
    5. Right click each of the newly made shares and select Properties.
    6. Select the previous versions tab.
    7. Now you should have full access to all existing previous versions for all WHS shares
    8. Disable the shares you created in 3b after you obtained the files you need.