Thread: Intel Wifi 5100 card not running in N mode.

Intel Wifi 5100 card not running in N mode.

Hello there, I have a Dell Studio laptop which has Windows 7 installed on it. The laptop is equipped with Intel Wifi 5100 card and I am using a D-Link DIR655 router to connect to the internet. I am facing some problems with the wireless connectivity on the router. I am not getting connection speed more than 54mbps when connected to the router. The router and the wireless card has Wireless N channel capability but the wireless card is not working in N channel mode. I am not able to figure out what is the reason behind the problem and hence need your help. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Intel Wifi 5100 card not running in N mode.

First I would suggest that you check if the router has been configured properly or not. The performance of the network connection largely depends on the performance of the router. If the router is not configured properly, the network connections will face some problems. Therefore login to the router and check the configuration of the router. Make necessary changes and save the settings. Reboot the router and see if the network performance improves or not.

The drivers installed on the computer can also give rise to problems which are similar to the one you are facing. Drivers act as the mediator between the operating system and the device. If the appropriate drivers are not installed or working on the computer, the device will not work properly. To check if the appropriate drivers for the network card are installed on the computer, go to device manager and highlight the network adapter. Update the drivers for the network adapter and then check if the network connectivity improves.

Some virus's when copied on the computer, take up all the network resources which may lead to the problems which are similar to the one you are facing. Virus's have the usual tendency of getting linked with the files of the operating system. If such a situation occurs, certain features of the operating system will not work properly. Therefore I will suggest that you get the full system scanned by an Antivirus and check all the files which are infected. Repair the files which are infected. After repairing all the files, check if the network connectivity improves or not.

The proper functioning of the router depends on the firmware of the router. If the firmware of the router is outdated, the network connection speed will suffer. Connect the router to the computer using a console cable and get the firmware of the router updated. Once the firmware of the router is updated, you will not face the same problem again.