Thread: Networking 2 computers

Networking 2 computers

Have 2 computers that were networked together, and now the 2nd computer is not showing being linked to the Host computer. Anyone have a solution??? Not sure how to fix this.

Re: Networking 2 computers

Can the second computer access the shared folders from the host by typing in the address? You can just try to add a new Network Place, if you can browse to the network folder and add it manually, then it sounds like the 'automatically detect network resources' option is off on the problem computer. To check, open an windows explorer window (ie, doubleclick My Computer) then pick Tools/Folder Options/View. See if the option to automatically detect network resources is checked. Check the TCPIP properties on the problem machine and check the box that says 'enable netbios over tcpip'.

I am running Vista, (hate it) and the problem computer will not let me get to the "My Computer". Anything I try to get into from the Start Menu is not allowed. Any other suggestions as to how to get to the solution. Thanks for your help

This looks some issue with the network settings. First check that the network connection properly. You can check by one command that weather the other computer on the network is responding or not. For that click on start and then run cmd. In that type ping compname -t and hit enter. Right click on My computer > Properties > Computer Name. Give a name and at the end below Network ID click on Change. See that both computer have a similar workgroup.

You need to check whether the internet connection firewall is disabled or not if you are connected through a broadband gateway router. Try to turn off ICS that acts as an Internet gateway via Internet Connection Sharing because it could create interference with local filesharing on the LAN and let the hardware router take care of firewalling the WAN (Internet) connection. In the sharing properties of your shared folder, make sure the "Allow network users to change my files" option is checked; your share will be read-only otherwise.