Thread: Port Forwarding on Mac OS X

Port Forwarding on Mac OS X

I have a Mac OS X that is connected via an ethernet cable to a PC under Windows XP used software Internet router, the PC is itself connected Internet via modem USB. Now let me be clear. I want to do the port forwarding as otld by my friend but I am not having any knowledge about it. He said that he will help me in doing that but I am posting here to ask to guys (experts) about the port forwarding. Please provide detailed information about the port forwarding as early as possible.

Re: Port Forwarding on Mac OS X

Many Internet applications do not work because the router blocks them. To address these small inconveniences some require that the ports are open and are directed to the computer itself, a fairly complex operation for slightly advanced users. Simple Port Forwarding is a software that saves these steps to configure the router from the information contained in its database. Compatible with over 600 different models, called Simple Port Forwarding the ports of hundreds of applications. To open ports only have to add to a list, enter the access data (which are often the default) and click Update Router. The configuration can be saved to a text file for later retrieval. It is capable of detecting the IP of the router and change the default DNS servers.

When I bought the router to route wireless internet in my home, I knew that many times clients like BitTorrent or Emule P2P can not connect, because unfortunately, the same ports are not open, and do it manually is a cumbersome process, "difficult" (but not impossible) and would do a big job. It is here where Simple Port Forwarding comes into play. It is a software that allows you to open ports in router you say, supports more than 600 routers the most popular brands (TPLink, DLink, Encore, NetGear, etc.), And hundreds of programs.

Inexperienced users often have to open some ports on the router to allow certain applications to communicate properly in Internet. Consider, for example, some online multiplayer games, or almost all peer to peer software. Simple Port Forwarding created to make life easier for the Giants. The program is responsible for "dialogue" with the router and ask them to forward ports correctly. Just select the program of your interest and be talking to you Simple Port Forwarding with router by opening the ports by default. If the program is not already contained in the Simple Port Forwarding settings only specify which ports should be open and possibly add the application to the program for future use. Compatible with all Windows systems. Available in portable version.
    I found this really useful little program.

Several people are using routers nowadays for the reason that most we have additional than one computer and share an Internet connection through router is better than using a switch with a computer that acts as a server. When you have a router, it acts much like an outer layer firewall because a hacker could only see the router and not directly to the computers on the network. That explains why a bunch of Trojans now supports inverse to solve this problem. If you have a computer that connects directly to the Internet via an ADSL modem or switch, then there is no need for port forwarding.

Actually, there are a lot of Internet applications like uTorrent, Limewire, etc and use requires an open port to eavesdrop for incoming connections. If you have configured port forwarding for uTorrent, you will perceive that the download is quick. Every software needs and open a single port that is not being used. A few software set the port number and some lets you set a custom port number. Few days ago one of my friend called me to lend a hand for checking closed circuit television because the person who sold you the system of closed circuit television could not get port forwarding working which means that my friend had no access to closed circuit television from outside.

Port forwarding, also known as the tunnel is basically the transmission of a network port from one node to another. This transmission technique allows an outside user to access a certain port (in a LAN) through NAT (network address translation) router is enabled. Port forwarding is widely used, particularly in offices, schools and households with several computers connected to the Internet. This is basically when computers do the port forwarding itself. If a computer uses a shared IP address it must do the port forwarding itself. If the Internet connection is shared between several computers, all computers should be the port forwarding in its own system. In addition, if a NAT is enabled, the computers connected to it must also make the port forwarding itself.

Advantages of Port Forwarding
    • Port forwarding essentially allows a computer to the outside to connect to a computer in a private LAN. There is currently shipping forwarding includes forwarding the port 21 for FTP access, and redirecting the port 80 for web servers. To achieve such results, operating systems like Mac OS X and BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) will use the pre-installed in the kernel, IPFIREWALL (ipfw), to perform port forwarding. Linux on the other would add iptables for port forwarding.

Disadvantages Port Forwarding
    • There are some disadvantages or precautions to take with port forwarding.
    • A single port can be used both in a single machine.
    • Port forwarding also allows any machine in the world to connect to port transferred at will, and thus makes the network a little insecure.
    • Technology transfer port is constructed in a manner so that the target machine will see the incoming packets as coming from the router rather than the original machine sending packets.

Port forwarding is also often done with Unix systems, such as ports below 1024 can only be accessed by the root administrator. That the race as a super-user can be risky, people will often redirect Incomings a low number for a higher number of port. An example of this is when the server administrators to redirect traffic from port 80 (port restricted) to a safer harbor, 080. This is done by one or both TCP and UDP.

In a household with a LAN configuration, it is essentially a DSL or cable modem connected to a router. This router is then connected computers, either via Ethernet or wireless Wi-fi. As explained in this case port forwarding, the router is like the ambassador of all computers connected to it in the eyes of the Internet. Basically, the Internet, the computers are invisible behind the router. Clearly, the port forwarding is necessary, because then the computer will send requests to the router, which then present these applications to the Internet. Without port forwarding, the Internet cannot be shared between multiple computers.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain