Thread: Torrent speeds much slower with router

Torrent speeds much slower with router

Hey guys ! I have some issues and I am not sure that something going wrong with my connected device or is it from software ... I have just got a d-link router and when I use it then my torrent speeds would not move above 120kB/s without the router (directly with my cable modem).Actually, my torrent is running with the speed of 500kB/s. I have not idea ..Is it a general router issue or do I have to reconfigure the utorrent?

Re: Torrent speeds much slower with router

I need to ask about some more information about your current configuration with the devices and one more thing that I wanted to know that you have done any changes before with the configuration of your network device means modem or router....Have you port forward the router? It should to be configured rather than uTorrent...if you were already going on with the ~500 KB/sec down before.

I am not getting why the speed of torrent is getting slow .. When I first began the downloading procedure of the torrent files, I was wondered that how slow they seemed to be. I never facilitate more than 10k a second on a good day, and my friends reported a wooping 240k+ at time... I was frustrated and posted this question and I went to find the answers here.. Please help me out guys .

In this case, you have to find out your routers IP address then after you can log into it and work with its ports. To find out the routers IP,you can use the command prompt

1. You have to go a web browser, and type in your IP address where you would commonly move to a website..
    2. You will be prompted for a user name and password, if you are running with the linksys, and never have been here before, it would be as follows:

User name : admin
    Password : admin

3. You will require to find the sections which says Port Range Forwarding.
    4. I have added in the ports for Torrent files, 6881 ~ 6889. You require to go for the same, Allowing those ports which are being used for maximum speed downloading, within your machine. And then save the changes that should do it.

I am sure, it would be helpful for you ...

There are some questions here that I need to ask from you :-
    • Which one BT Client are you working with ?
    • If Azureus, do you have the newest version?
    • Have you installed the safe_peer plugin installed?

If it is different BT client and one more thing , have you installed the PeerGuardian installed on the PC that runs the BT Client? If you don't have some security like that, your Computer system is currently WIDE OPEN to the authorities!!! Your router will provide no protection for those ports, because you have forwarded them, therefore bypassing the protection inherent in the router.

Strange, for some causes me and about 10 different I have performed on their system is the same, when those ports are not properly opened , we can't get over 15K a second. The second we open those ports, and configure nothing else, it bumps up right now to over 150k a sec. How can it be, it effects each computer system that I have finished it to just after those ports are open?