Thread: VirtualBox 3.2 allows OS X Guest Installations

VirtualBox 3.2 allows OS X Guest Installations

I have read the release article of VirtualBox 3.2 which states that it is possible to create OS X guest:
    • New Mac OS X Server – On Apple hardware only, support for creating virtual machines running Mac OS X Server.
    So I just wanted to ask if anyone over here have tested this or know how to do this? You may even comment about if it will be helpful to use it or recommend to test it etc.? I personally would love to test it on my MacBook Pro.

Re: VirtualBox 3.2 allows OS X Guest Installations

In beta version of this software it was possible to crack this software to force it to work on Windows since Apple allowed it. But now only Mac OS X server is allowed to be virtualised by Parallels and Fusion, not even Mac OS X "client" are allowed. VirtualBox is apparently like Parallels and VMware's Fusion. It basically virtualizes a "PC" on which you could install an OS.

I thought VirtualBox was a MacOS X Server application. Because what I read was in that article as stated below:

To download the freely available Oracle VM VirtualBox software, visit the VirtualBox Downloads page. VirtualBox software is free of charge for personal use. For wider deployments within an organization, enterprise licenses are also available, starting at $50 (USD) per user. For partners wishing to redistribute the VirtualBox technology as part of their own solution, Oracle offers a comprehensive OEM licensing program.
    This clearly indicates it should be a software rather than what you told here.

Thank you Logan for that information. I was not aware about the latest release of this software, it is definitely a software as you have read. You will find very good list of features in this release. VirtualBox 3.2 is the first Oracle branded release since the acquisition of Sun Microsystems by Oracle. It is the software version of the device that was developed by Sun.

Both VMWare and Parallels do not support virtualization for Mac OS X Server. However you will be able to virtualize VMWare Fusion OS X Server. I don't know the technical reasons involved between them but that's true. This is also applied to VirtualBox but implements it in a different way. Oracle produces a warning message for the user that they violating it if they are trying to install other than OS X server.